Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

How do you automate your documentation?

adamgross

The time involved in maintaining documentation, I'm wonder what people are using to help automate with this?  I use a PS script that creates Visio diagrams that I downloaded from here but don't know the author.  I'm looking for something that will let me specify all of my controllers that ultimately allows me to easily click down through everything, if such a thing exists.  I'd love to have something like this in a script that I could run daily, or multiple times a day, so I can have updated documentation available at all times.  The Visio script is great but I'm looking for something more manager-friendly.  Something that would provide all information in a hierarchical type of way so as you go deeper and deeper it's like peeling back the layers of an onion so to speak.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

eric8

Have you looked into NetApp Synergy, specifically Storage Design Studio?  It has controller data import tools (including from live system AutoSupports), and automation of documentation tools, including output to Word, Excel, and Visio.  Caveat: some of the export tool levels may only be visible to NetApp employees, partners, and/or NCDA certified persons. Link: http://synergy.netapp.com/

It may not be quite as sophisticated a diagramming tool as you might be looking for, but I don't know if Visio supports that sort of "peel back the onion" functionality - at least, our automation scripting doesn't (yet).   It still could be done manually, by adding hyperlinks inside the Visio diagrams, though.  See also the SDS Community Link:  Storage Design Studio

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

adamgross

bump

eric8

Have you looked into NetApp Synergy, specifically Storage Design Studio?  It has controller data import tools (including from live system AutoSupports), and automation of documentation tools, including output to Word, Excel, and Visio.  Caveat: some of the export tool levels may only be visible to NetApp employees, partners, and/or NCDA certified persons. Link: http://synergy.netapp.com/

It may not be quite as sophisticated a diagramming tool as you might be looking for, but I don't know if Visio supports that sort of "peel back the onion" functionality - at least, our automation scripting doesn't (yet).   It still could be done manually, by adding hyperlinks inside the Visio diagrams, though.  See also the SDS Community Link:  Storage Design Studio

adamgross

Looks like only NetApp employees and partners can access the tool.  I asked someone to run my systems through the tool so I can see what the output looks like.  Thanks Eric.

Public