Subscribe

XenServer, FC protocol and SnapManager products

I am designing an environment that will use XenServer for virtualization, and will virtualized Exchange 2003 and SQL 2005 servers.

Can I use the associated SnapManager products (SQL, Exchange, Oracle) with XenServer VMs using fibre channel as my protocol of choice on this Windows 2003 based VMs?

In a VMWare environment I would use Raw Device Mappings, but I can't figure out if something similar can be done in XenServer.

I have reviewed the best practice guide here:

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3732.pdf

Thoughts?

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

just wondering how you got on with this, as I've got a similar environment where XenServer 5.6 with FC LUNs will be used and they would also like to use SMSQL & SME for the MSSQL and Exchange VMs.

Did you need to directly map the LUNs via iSCSI to the VMs for Snapdrive/snapmanager to work, or were you able to get FC LUNs to work ok with Snapdrive on the VM through XenServer?

Cheers,

John

Hmmm.. just found this on FieldPortal which says NO to all the above: https://fieldportal.netapp.com/ci_getfile.asp?method=1&uid=6347&docid=32820

Hi jherlihy-1

Citrix recommends as a best practice to use NFS for the VM repository, for SnapManager I would go with iSCSI (XS don't support raw device mapping), if you are concerned about performance i think the smart move is to use 10Gb ethernet.

Cheers.

Please open a PVR with customer name and provide all details. I have received 4 PVRs so far. I believe there are more opportunities out there but not hearing them so I encourage folks to open a PVR. We are working on putting together a plan to formally qualify SMxin XenServer environment

Thanks for that - that's the conclusion I came to as well although I couldn't find it documented that Citrix actually recommends that. Do you have a URL (off the top of your headSmiley Happy that shows that?

I found some posts which stated that any XS VMs which had Snapdrive installed (for use with SnapManager etc) had trouble booting and running normal backups with VSS if their non-NetApp disks (ie C: drive) were not on NFS. Something to do with XS StorageLink creating a separate LUN for every disk on a VM (including the C: drive) and mapping through the physical device name (ie "NETAPP LUN") which was confusing Snapdrive when the VSS hardware provider was called.

Cheers,

John

I don't have a link right now, but I remember that it was an exam question

Re: XenServer, FC protocol and SnapManager products

Anything new on this?  I'm hearing from customers who would like to run SME in Xen-hosted VMs, but I don't believe NetApp supports that yet.  You can map to "raw" NetApp LUNs using Storage Link in Xen, but the SD/SME support just isn't there yet, correct?