AFF

Post Process Deduplication Limits Still Apply on an AFF?

TMADOCTHOMAS

Under a FAS system, only eight post-process deduplication jobs can be run at one time. Does that apply to AFF systems, or are the standards different?

6 REPLIES 6

Sahana

Hi,

Yes, a maximum of eight concurrent compression and deduplication processes is allowed on each node on an HA pair configuration. Refer page 53 http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4476.pdf

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks Sahana! Can you clarify? I didn't see this topic addressed on page 53.

Sahana

On page 53

Refer section below:

HA Controller Configuration HA pair controller configurations are supported with both deduplication and compression. NetApp recommends that both nodes run the same version of Data ONTAP. Deduplication and compression run on each node independently.  Writes to the FlexVol volume or data constituents have fingerprints written to the change log. During failover or giveback to the partner node, inline compression continues as normal and deduplication change logging continues to happen. Postprocess compression and deduplication processes start at the next scheduled time on the failed node after failover or giveback completes using the updated change log, or they can be started manually. A maximum of eight concurrent compression and deduplication processes is allowed on each node on an HA pair configuration. During failover, the surviving node continues to be limited to a maximum of eight concurrent compression and deduplication operations, even though deduplication continues for both nodes.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks Sahana, I see it now. It doesn't explicitly address whether this applies on an AFF the same way it does on a FAS system. I ask because inline dedupe/compression are enabled by default on new volumes on AFF, and it made me wonder if requirements are dfiferent.

Sahana

Hi,

Nothing about deduplication in the comaparison of FAS and AFF. Refer https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP12466574/html/GUID-CBDB06C5-A073-43E0-9DAD-C1AC35BE216B.html

TMADOCTHOMAS

I see that. I'm assuming it's still in place on AFF until I hear differently, I would just like to see it spelled out somewhere!

Public