Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

Configuration Advisor (formerly Wire Gauge) Serial COM Port

yaamibjammin

By default, Config Advisor allows you to connect to a filer via the serial COM ports 3 and 4.  I'm using a USB to serial conversion cable and need to be able to use COM ports 6, 7, or 8.  I don't see any options (drop down menus) to change the default COM port choices.  Anyone know how to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aasims

Config Advisor scans for COM ports on your computer.  In fact, it will search for COM1 thru COM256.  It should find them.  You may have already done this, but you can check in Device Manager for the serial ports that are active on your computer. 

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you have another terminal program open at the same time that's using the COM port, Config Advisor will ignore that COM port since it cannot have read/write access to it while another program has that same port open.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aasims

Config Advisor scans for COM ports on your computer.  In fact, it will search for COM1 thru COM256.  It should find them.  You may have already done this, but you can check in Device Manager for the serial ports that are active on your computer. 

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you have another terminal program open at the same time that's using the COM port, Config Advisor will ignore that COM port since it cannot have read/write access to it while another program has that same port open.

CCOLEMAN_

Aaron has a good point, double check and make sure you don't have a putty session open via that COM port (or any other program that might be using that port)

It will always find available COM ports for you.

yaamibjammin

Thanks guys.  It was really weird, I tried disconnecting everything and reconnecting and still only got COM 3 and 4.  I have tried it since then and it now shows me COM 6 (or 7) as needed.  Thanks for the info!

aasims

One other bit of info.  With USB serial adapters, I've sometimes seen where the COM port name will change depending on which USB port you plugin to, even for the same exact device on the same computer. 

Public