2010-11-12 03:52 AM
Hope someone can help.
Can I hot-add a new loop (DiskShelf14mk4) without an outage on 7.3.2?
I've seen this: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel
To add storage to an active/active configuration configured for Multipath Storage, you need to add the new disk shelf to the end of a loop, ensuring that it is connected to the previous disk shelf and to the controller.
I haven't seen a doc saying I can hot-add a new loop.
Solved! SEE THE SOLUTION
2010-11-17 02:52 AM
The hardware and service guide for the shelf states support to hot add to an existing adapter with support added for this in ONTAP 7.2.
See page 84, "Hot-adding a disk shelf to an existing adapter in your system"
2010-11-30 07:30 AM
Sorry, more questions! I'm adding three FC shelves to an active/active cluster in a new loop and NetApp suggests adding one shelf at a time. even after looking at the docs I'm not 100% sure:
I was going to add a single shelf first to both controller heads in the cluster but only single pathed, i.e. no multipathing
1. NetApp1 controller: insert fibre cable to port 0b
2. Shelf 1: insert fibre cable from NetApp1 0b to module A input
3. NetApp2 controller: insert fibre cable to port 0b
4. Shelf 1: insert fibre cable from NetApp2 0b to module B input
If all is OK at this stage I was going to add the additional shelves (still single pathed) followed by introducing the multipathing
5. NetApp1 controller: insert fibre cable to port 1b
6. Shelf 3: insert fibre cable from NetApp1 1b to module B output
7. NetApp2 controller: insert fibre cable to port 1b
8. Shelf 3: insrt fibre cable from NetApp2 0b to module A output
Does this sound reasonable?
2010-11-30 07:58 AM
That sounds reasonable. Adding one shelf at a time then mpha after..I prefer one change at a time like this.. I would also send an autosupport before and after the shelf addition so the configuration is sent in case of any issues. You can also open a case to review your procedure.
Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless