CLOUDS - Running multiple Oracle customers on Solaris Zones with NetApp Multistore

by jcosta Former NetApp Employee on ‎2009-11-18 09:54 AM

As I see a large number of questions from folks trying to use Solaris containers with some of our technologies such as SnapDrive for UNIX and SnapManager for Oracle, I thought it would be a good idea to document how these could be all used together.

This is an example of my process to have a large number of Solaris containers running and still be able to backup and restore them quickly using NetApp snapshots. When I say quickly I mean restoring TB's in a couple of minutes using the SMO fast Vol restore features.

update: this is now available as TR-3818

Comments
william6 Former NetApp Employee

Awesome document, Jorge!  Thanks for putting it together.  I'm in the midst of setting up a couple of vfilers on some sims.  As soon as I finish that, I'm looking forward to trying out this build.  As you say, it's an excellent option for virtulizing the DB server layer and building out a key part of the Cloud infrastructure.

Warning!

This NetApp Community is public and open website that is indexed by search engines such as Google. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary. All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly viewable and available. This includes the rich text editor which is not encrypted for https.

In accordance to our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Files and content that do not abide by the Community Terms of Use or Code of Conduct will be removed. Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.