Data Backup and Recovery

Can I restore a singel mail from a SnapManager for Exchange snapshot

TOBIAS1979

HI

Can I restore a singel mail from a SnapManager for Exchange snapshot? I have all the snapshot but I don´t know how to use them, it dosen´t seams be possible to mount the snap shot in Singel Mail Box restore.

Rgds

Tobias

10 REPLIES 10

blackjack168

Hi,

You use snapdrive to mount those luns in snapshot, then you proceed to use SMBR to restore single mail.

TOBIAS1979

Hi

Does SnapDrive make them readable exchange db files? Is it possible to mount the lun on server without the exchange installation?

T.

blackjack168

hi,

Yes, in your snapdrive , mount the 2 snaphshots lun stores mailbox datafile and log file. then you can proceed to smbr part.

I do this on a stand-alone 2008 server prepared for single mail box recovery job . In that specific server, I install SnapDrive, outlook, and smbr. That's it.

br 

TOBIAS1979

Hi

I have some snapshot at my backup site but I don´t have iscsi licens or flexclone there. How can I do to copy the snapshot to my secondary filer? vol copy or snapvult?

If what´s the command?

Rgds

T

qzhang

Run SME MMC from a machine which has SMBR, outlook, and SDW installed. Go to restore view, select the backup, then from active menu, select “Run SMBR”.

Thanks,

-Qing

TOBIAS1979

Hi

We are running QUEST for mail migration on the mailbox server which prevet us from running outlook on the server

Rgds

Tobias

qzhang

You don't have to install those softwares (SMBR, outlook) on your Exchange mailbox server. Install them on another machine, make sure that machine has connection to the storage (you don't have iSCSI license?). Create connection to storage system on SDW, so later on SME can mount remote snapshot on this machine using SDW. Use SME mmc to connect to Exchange server, then run the step mentioned above. You have to install SME and SDW on both exchange and your SMBR machine.

Thanks,

-Qing

TOBIAS1979

Yes, but my problem is to get the data. I have snpshot in a backup site without iscsi license (don´t blame me ). So I wounder if I could use SnapVautl or vol copy start to get the data?

If, what is the context?

Rgds

Tobias

aborzenkov

Yes, you can use vol copy or ndmpcopy to copy LUN from snapshot to different volume/filer.

TOBIAS1979

should the source path and destination path look like this or?   FILER01:/vol/volumenamne/qtreenamne?

T.

Public