Data Backup and Recovery

Can a command (..._CMDxx) be run locally on the SC server instead of on the agent ?

uptimenow

Hi,

Is it possible to force SC to run a command locally instead of on the remote server using the SC agent ?

I wrote a script to tackle the problem I described here:

https://communities.netapp.com/thread/22504

and I am using something like this:

POST_NTAP_DATA_TRANSFER_CMD01="C:\Program Files\NetApp\Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.6.0c\tools\SC-update-QSMs.exe" -s plink -u root -k "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.6.0c\tools\snapcreator-ssh-key.ppk"

but I want to run it on the SC server. I can see from the debugging logs that SC attempts to run my

script on the remote server, and gives an error because the executable doesn't exist on that server.

Thanks in advance,

Filip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

spinks

Filip,

Yes - preface the command with:  SERVER:

Please note that there needs to be a space between the : and the command.

So your command would look like:

POST_NTAP_DATA_TRANSFER_CMD01=SERVER: "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.6.0c\tools\SC-update-QSMs.exe" -s plink -u root -k "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.6.0c\tools\snapcreator-ssh-key.ppk"

Hope this helps.

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

spinks

Filip,

Yes - preface the command with:  SERVER:

Please note that there needs to be a space between the : and the command.

So your command would look like:

POST_NTAP_DATA_TRANSFER_CMD01=SERVER: "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.6.0c\tools\SC-update-QSMs.exe" -s plink -u root -k "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.6.0c\tools\snapcreator-ssh-key.ppk"

Hope this helps.

John

ktenzer

Hi Filip,

You bet!

Starting with SC 3.6 we added this ability. By default if agent is configured we send to agent if agent isnt configured we send to server. In addition you can use following tags for more granularity AGENT, SERVER, CLONETARGET.

Here would be example of running you command on server:

Make sure there is a space between SERVER: and then command

In addition the CLONETTARGET is second agent you can have so allowing commands to go there provides two agents and a server from same config which give you a lot of potential. In SC 4.0 (it is in development) we are taking this a step further so any CMD you can send to any agent by just specify agent.

Let me know if this works?

Keith

uptimenow

Thanks, that does indeed the trick ! Many thanks, John & Keith !

jherlihy1

Hey Keith,

that looks very promising being able to specify multiple agents to run commands on - do you have a timeframe of when SC 4.0 will be released?

Cheers,

John

ktenzer

It is the next release after 3.6 so target is beginning of 2013, however that is fully supported release from NOW. As with every SC release we do an open source community supoorted release and that we hope to have out in next few months. I wouldn't quite recommend community release in production envs unless you / customer are comfortable with a community based support model and do fair amount of testing but it is great for seeing new features, testing them, and getting us feedback in time so we can make adjustements before the NOW release

If you interested in community go to www.snapcreator.com you can also download community and netapp supported versions there.

Regards,

Keith

Public