Data Backup and Recovery

Clone from secondary to alternate location

NONOR7373

Hello

We have protected backups of our 10.2.0.4 oracle DB, with SMO3.2 on Aix 6.1. we have not yet implemented clone from secondary

to alternate server, the question is : do we need a volume group to exist on the target, with the same name of the source ? or does

the restore process create the VG from the volume source ( from the secondary ) ?

And other question : in case of failure of the primary, is SMO able to see the snapshots on secondary ? or do we ALWAYS need the

local snapshots to be able to restore from secondary ?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

nkarthik

Hello Grison Noel,

To protect the backup using snapmirror, you need to have a volume in secondary to protect the backup. In SMO, the snapshot will transfered to secondary volume after backup. you are not required to create another volume (i hope you mention volume as volume group, if not correct me) in secondary for clone. The clone can be created from snapshot from the secondary volume with thin provisioning and later testing you can split the clone volume to separate volume using  split functionality.

Normally it will restore from primary. If the snapshot not available in primary then it will take it from secondary.

Please let us know if you need any more help.

Regards,

Karthikeyan.N

NONOR7373

Hello

Thank you for your answer, I will test today the clone process, but for scripting the whole process, I need to get the "copy_ID" of the

snapshot on the secondary, but I didn't find how to get it ?

Thank you

NONOR7373

Hello

I confirm I need it, I get, if I put a fake ID in the script :

SMO-13032: Cannot perform operation: Clone Create.  Root cause: SMO-03040: Backup copy 123477 does not exist on secondary storage

How do I get this ID from the source server, using SMO command line or SNAPDRIVE ?, in the Graphical tools SMO retrieve the ID

when we use the clone create menu....

Thank you for your help

himanshp

Hello Grison,

You can use smo backup show -profile <ProfileName> -label <BackupLabel> command to get the copy id of the backup on the secondary storage.

Example:

# smo backup show -profile GLOG2 -label daily_20140520_1138

Backup id: 8a2a0c8a41a8620d0141a862109c0001

Backup label: daily_20140520_1138

Backup comment:

Backup status: SUCCESS

Primary storage resources: EXISTS

Protection state: PROTECTED

Backup scope: FULL

Backup mode: ONLINE

Protected copies on Secondary Storage:

3749 - Mirror

Thanks,

Himanshu

NONOR7373

Hello Himanshu

Thank you for your answer, yes we get the copy_id at the end of the info of this command, but when I try to clone I get an error

regarding the backup on the secondary :

[ERROR] SMO-13032: Cannot perform operation: Clone Create.  Root cause: SMO-03040: Backup copy 123366 does not exist on secondary storage.  Valid backup copies are [].

or the copy exist on secondary, and it is seen from the graphical SMO, and from system manager, I get the same error from SMO gui :

If someone succeed in cloning from secondary...thank you for your help.

best regards

Noel

himanshp

Noel,

Couple of questions..

• What protection policy is chosen in SnapManager for protecting the backups ?
  • Can you furnish the output of smo backup show -profile <ProfileName> -label <BackupLabel> command  and also the command tried to create the clone on remote host through secondary backup.
  • Is your primary storage accessible through remote host (where clone is being created)  ?
  • If possible can you attach the SMO logs for the clone operation tried .....

Thanks,

Himanshu

NONOR7373

Hello Himanshu

Please, fond attached the logs of the process in the link below.

policie : simple protection policy, with no mirroring.

smo backup show, find result attached.

primary storage : yes I think, but our enginer is checking the zoning...

SMO logs : find attached.

Thank you

http://sendbox.fr/pro/dejoquzy3o97/smo_logs.zip.html

himanshp

Noel,

I don't see any log attached for the failed clone operation.

Please open a case with support team.

Also please note that in SMO 3.2 if you try to clone from secondary backup, SnapManager checks whether the primary backup still exists. If the primary backup is not freed and still exists, then the backup on the primary is accessed, and not the backup on the secondary. This could end up in an operation failure if remote host has no connectivity to primary filer. In case of no connectivity to primary storage, you should consider freeing your primary backup so that secondary backup is used for the operation.

Thanks,

Himanshu

NONOR7373

Hello Himanshu

Thank you for answer. yes we have connectivity problem on our test server, we are checking zoning.

Thank you

Public