Data Backup and Recovery

Configuring Snapcreator to work with Oracle (10.2) on Linux

michaeldparker

Hi,

Is there any documentation specific to snapcreator and Oracle on Linux or can someone who has a better understanding of how to configure snapcreator help me through this please?  I am trying to get snapcreator to take snapshots of my oracle DB and vault it to another array.  I went through the gui wizard to configure a basic file and it's not working.  Below is the output of my failed attempt:

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:43 2012] INFO: Logfile timestamp: 20121210152043

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:43 2012] INFO: Plugin validation skipped for oracle, no plugin parameters file found or no parameters set

########## Parsing Environment Parameters ##########

########## PRE APPLICATION QUIESCE COMMANDS ##########

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:43 2012] INFO: No commands defined

########## PRE APPLICATION QUIESCE COMMANDS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY ##########

########## Application quiesce ##########

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] INFO: Quiescing databases

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] INFO: Quiescing database orcy

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] ERROR: [ora-00020] Oracle SQL*Plus command [/bin/su - oracle -c "ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/10.2/;export ORACLE_HOME;ORACLE_SID=orcy;export ORACLE_SID;/opt/oracle/product/10.2/bin/sqlplus /nolog @/tmp/UWnSRTKKFZ.sc"] failed with return code [0] and message [The Oracle base for ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/10.2 is /opt/oracle/product/10.2

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.5.0 - Production on Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

select * from v$version

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Disconnected

]

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] ERROR: [ora-00001] Verifying correct version of database orcy failed

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:47 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] ERROR: [scf-00053] Application quiesce for plugin oracle failed with exit code 1, Exiting!

########## Application unquiesce ##########

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:53 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] INFO: Unquiescing databases

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:53 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] INFO: Unquiescing database orcy

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:53 2012] [orcyrac1:9090(3.6.0.1)] ERROR: [ora-00010] Ending hot backup mode for database orcy failed

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012] ERROR: [scf-00054] Application unquiesce for plugin oracle failed with exit code 1, Exiting!

########## PRE EXIT COMMANDS ##########

[Mon Dec 10 15:20:49 2012] INFO: No commands defined

########## PRE EXIT COMMANDS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY ##########

I am attaching my configuration file as well for reference.  As you can see, it's not even connecting to the oracle database, orcy, but once I get past that point, how does it take the snapshots?  Do I need to specify additional information for snapdrive to take the snapshot since the server uses lun?  Any help someone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

34 REPLIES 34

michaeldparker

One more thing, I don't think this would matter in the least, but I'm just throwing out all details.  This particular oracle DB is in a RAC.  On RAC1, we use SMO configured via PM to backup the DB to our DR site.  On RAC2, is where I have the creator agent installed to handle this backup to send the back via PM to another set of controllers at our primary site for our test environment.  Long story as to why we're using SMO for DR and attempting to use creator for our test environment.  Like I said though, I'm just trying to mention any details.  We are using separated datasets and protection policies for SMO and creator.  The SMO dataset shows it was created with SMO and the creator dataset shows it was created with Snapcreator.  The source volume for both datasets are identical of course, but the relationships that I'm imported are different since they are relationships configured for different destination controllers. 

Thanks for the help.

ktenzer

Only thing I can think of is that CDCFAS02 is not kown as CDCFAS02 in Protection Manager. It is case sensitive so if it doesnt find storage system it is ignored. Another issue could be the dataset, does CDCFAS02 show up?

I would expect SC to throw error if we dont find storage system but that doesnt appear to happen unless there is some other issue.

Keith

michaeldparker

I don’t think it’d be the first. I have a DB2 server in SC being protected via PM . It’s volumes are only on CDCFAS02 and it works. Here is a snippet of it’s configuration:

##################################

1. Protection Manager Options ###

##################################

NTAP_PM_UPDATE=Y

NTAP_DFM_DATA_SET=CDCFAS02:snapcreator_CDCOLA2/cdcola2_k,cdcola2_l,cdcola2_n,cdcola2_q,cdcola2_r

NTAP_PM_RUN_BACKUP=Y

Not sure I understand what you are asking for the 2nd question, but I did import external relationships into the dataset from CDCFAS02 and I see them with the controller name in all capital letters.

Thanks

Michael

ktenzer

Ok well if the dataset is correct and names match exactly what is in SC config I dont know why SC is ignoring one volume, there could be a bug with multiple volumes. I will send this to QA to investigate.

Unfortunately I dont think I will have another update till QA gets back to me, no ETA but probably a week or two.

Keith

michaeldparker

Ok. If you happen to think of something sooner, I’d appreciate it greatly! I’ve been working for weeks on attempting to get application consistent backups to this particular set of controllers. I only started down this path with SC this week, but this has been my luck. Every other avenue I’ve pursued has run into road blocks. Not your fault of course, but I’m frustrated at how many problems I’ve ran up against trying to get the backups to the controllers.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

ktenzer

Roger I have sent this to QA so they will test it soon, we need to reproduce this issue so we can see what is going on. Right now it doesnt look like a configuration problem.

You can try one thing

NTAP_DFM_DATA_SET=CDCFAS01:snapcreator_ORCY/orcyctrl1;CDCFAS01:snapcreator_ORCY/orcydata1;CDCFAS02:snapcreator_ORCY/orcyarch1

See if maybe there is a bug with the parsing

Keith

ktenzer

Ok emailed QA they may also ask questions here to get your config details.

We do need some help to reproduce, if you could print out dataset configuration and let us know if you are using qtree snapmirror, volume snapmirror, or snapvault that would help?

There is CLI command from DFM to print out dataset so you see the members, forget command though

Keith

michaeldparker

Thanks.  The relationships are snapvaults.  Thomas had asked for the output of dfpm dataset list -m snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 and I have given the below information.  Does this give you what you need?

Id         Node Name            Dataset Id Dataset Name         Member Type Name

---------- -------------------- ---------- -------------------- -------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------

418 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q1

419 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q2

420 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q3

421 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q4

422 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q5

423 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q6

424 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q7

425 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q8

426 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q9

427 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q10

428 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcydata1/q11

430 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS01:/orcyctrl1/q1

469 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS02:/orcyarch1/q1

48410 Primary data 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 qtree CDCFAS02:/orcyarch1/q2

47840 Backup 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 volume CDCFAS10:/smo_orcyctrl1

47843 Backup 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 volume CDCFAS10:/smo_orcydata1

48209 Backup 50892 snapcreator_ORCYRAC2 volume                                             CDCFAS10:/smo_orcyarch1

ktenzer

Yes think we have all we need now

Keith

brauntvr2swiss

Hi Michael

I dont see any Problems at the  first look. I think we have both to wait for the answer from QA..

regards

Thomas

michaeldparker

Well, I appreciate the help. Definitely not the answer I was hoping for, but I understand. I look forward to hearing back from the QA group.

Thanks

Michael

michaeldparker

One more thought for you. I don’t have to have this working with protection manager. It would be desirable, but not required. So, I thought I could configure SC to perform the snapvault update at least until we can get it working with PM. I went into the config and took out the section dealing with PM and added this for snapvault:

#########################

1. SnapVault Options ###

#########################

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_UPDATE=Y

SNAPVAULT_VOLUMES=CDCFAS01:orcyctrl1,orcydata1;CDCFAS02:orcyarch1

SNAPVAULT_QTREE_INCLUDE=

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RETENTIONS=daily:30

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RETENTION_AGE=daily:30

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_SNAPSHOT=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_NODELETE=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RESTORE_WAIT=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_WAIT=360

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_MAX_TRANSFER=

I was looking at the this line: NTAP_SNAPVAULT_SNAPSHOT=N. Is this the correct option? I’m trying to understand how to configure it as I’ve never used SC and allow it to manage the protection. I’m waiting for the current snapvaults to finish updating, the I was going to kick it off this way, so trying to ensure my config will work and if I’ll have the desired results I’m after. Thoughts?

Thanks

Michael

ktenzer

Yeah there are actually two different ways to do snapvault with SC, I know lots of options

1) storage controller driven snapvault which uses the storage controller schedules to do snapvault. SC simply creates a compatible snapshot i.i nightly.0 and storage sytems manages snapshot counts and moving data from A to B. The option NTAP_SNAPVAULT_SNAPSHOT=Y configures this.

2) Normal snapvault which you want is configured by SNAPVAULT_VOLUMES and NTAP_SNAPVAULT_UPDATE=Y. As you have it these settings would be correct:

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_UPDATE=Y

SNAPVAULT_VOLUMES=CDCFAS01:orcyctrl1,orcydata1;CDCFAS02:orcyarch1

SNAPVAULT_QTREE_INCLUDE=

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RETENTIONS=daily:30

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RETENTION_AGE=daily:30

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_SNAPSHOT=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_NODELETE=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RESTORE_WAIT=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_WAIT=360

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_MAX_TRANSFER=

Regards,

Keith

michaeldparker

Thanks once again Keith for the reply.  I have been playing with this further today and it appears we have it working finally!  All relationships are being updated and snapvault snapshots are being created.  Upon further thinking about it all, we'd like to change the snapvault relationships to QSM relationships ideally.  I know in SC that you can configure it to do snapmirror or snapvault.  If we wanted to do qsm, I assume we'd need to change SC to use snapmirror.  Is it capable of updating qsm relationships and keeping multiple days of snapshots on the qsm destination?  Anything special I would need to be aware of before we start tearing things down and re-creating or can I just create qsm relationships and go through the new configuration wizard to create my config file with snapmirror instead?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Public