Data Backup and Recovery

Deleting a SMSQL clone on a remote server using PowerShell

prinz

Hi,

A customer is using SMSQL to create clones on remote servers and is wondering if it should be possible to delete the clones from a central server using the PowerShell (i.e. - the clone is mounted on a different server).  He gets an error when he tries to do this (not sure of the exact message).  It appears from the documentation that this is possible but I wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

parkerj

I would not expect the ability to remove the clone from the remote system unless you were able to rsh into the remote system unless you are using Windows Server 2008R2. With Windows Server 2008R2 you can do remote shell commands with powershell but not all commandlets will work, so you would first have to be running Windows Server 2008R2 and have the remote shell enabled.

John Parker

prinz

Thanks John. I appreciate the information.

---

Trey Prinz

Systems Engineer

NetApp

512.287.7204 Direct

512.633.4851 Mobile

prinz@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

sourav

Hi,

It is possible to remove clones created on a remote SQL Server host using SMSQL 5.0. You'll have to use the SMSQL 5.0 powershell command-let. In this case the commadlet in question is delete-clone. The syntax is as follows: -

delete-clone [-Server <ServerName>] [-Database <<SQL server instance>,<Number of databases>,<db1>,<db2>,db3>..>

[-Username <username>] [-Password <pwd>] [-ServerInstance <SQL

Server Instance>] [<CommonParameters>]

If you facing any errors here, please post the SMSQL logs to this thread.

Regards,

Sourav.

prinz

Thanks Sourav. So, does that mean that you don't need to have the rsh capability that is built into Windows 2008.

Let me check with the customer on the SMSQL version and if he can provide the logs.

Take care.

---

Trey Prinz

Systems Engineer

NetApp

512.287.7204 Direct

512.633.4851 Mobile

prinz@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

sourav

That's correct. You won't need the RSH capability. What you will need though is an SMSQL installation on both the remote server as well as then one from which you are centrally managing the clone lifecycles.

Regards,

Sourav.

prinz

Thanks Sourav. It sounds like he might need to call support on this one because he told me SMSQL is already installed on the remote server. In fact, wouldn't it need to be installed on the remote server if you wanted to create a clone there or do you just need SnapDrive for that.

Take care.

---

Trey Prinz

Systems Engineer

NetApp

512.287.7204 Direct

512.633.4851 Mobile

prinz@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

sourav

SMSQL will have to be installed at the remote server as well where the clone was created. Let me know if support advices otherwise.

Regards,

Sourav.

prinz

Hi Sourav,

The customer is running 5.0.0.38. He says that there is nothing logged to the PowerShell window other than an error message. Looking in the SMSQL GUI, I see logs for Backup, Config, and Restore but not for Clone.

Is there another place he should be looking for the logs.

Thanks.

---

Trey Prinz

Systems Engineer

NetApp

512.287.7204 Direct

512.633.4851 Mobile

prinz@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

sourav

Hi Prinz,

The RESTORE logs in SMSQL are what I need. They contain the messages from cloning operation as well. Just send me one log from the time that the error happened.

Regards,

Sourav.

prinz

Thanks for the clarification Sourav.

I'll ask him to send that over and I'll forward it to you.

Take care.

---

Trey Prinz

Systems Engineer

NetApp

512.287.7204 Direct

512.633.4851 Mobile

prinz@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

prinz

Hi Sourav,

The customer said that "the error isn’t being logged. It doesn’t make it past connecting to the SQL server – then it throws the error – basically saying it can’t find the SnapInfo directory if I remember correctly."

He goes on to say

"Yes, I do have it (SMSQL) installed on both systems. I think this has something to do with the location of the SnapInfo directory. Do I need to share that directory on the main server and then use that as my directory on the secondary server which receives the clones?"

So perhaps this is all related to the SnapInfo directory.

---

Trey Prinz

Systems Engineer

NetApp

512.287.7204 Direct

512.633.4851 Mobile

prinz@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

sourav

Hello Prinz,

Sorry for the delayed response. There is no need to share the SnapInfo directory on any server. If you have not opened a support case already please send me the SMSQL Restore Logs from both the servers (clone source and destination) after reproducing the error. I'll see if there is an obvious error. If not then I'd advise you to open a support case.

Regards,

Sourav.

Public