Data Backup and Recovery

Does GUI (SMO 3.1P1) work with windows server 2008 R2 (x64)

3GISSMORACLE

Hi ,

I'm trying to start web GUI with SMO 3.1 P1 in windows server 2008R2 x64bits but its not working .

Is there anybody here has tested GUI on windows server 2008 x 64bit or 2008 x32bit ,please feedback .

Thanks and Regards

Tien

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3GISSMORACLE
10 REPLIES 10

thomas_glodde

Hi,

works like a charm here.

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

Oracle 11gR2 11.2.0.1.0

Did nothing special besides installing it, maybe you installed a separate java version?

Regards,

Thomas

3GISSMORACLE

Hi Thomas,

I installed java version 1.6.0_24 on windows server 2008R2 SP1 x64 but its not working .

Could you please show me the java version that is installed on your server.?

Regards/Tien

thomas_glodde

Hi,

i did NOT install any Java version manualy.

SMO has a 1.5er version built in:

C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Oracle\jre

Oracle 11 has a 1.5er version of its own as well:

E:\product\dbhome_1\jre\1.5.0

So my PATH variable contains NO java entry.

Did you use the proper version? On a x64 server you need to use the x64 version of SMO: netapp.smo.windows-x64-3.1P1.exe

Regards,

Thomas

pedro_rocha

Hi Thomas,

I had to ensure Java version 1.5 was u11 not u22 to work... Java tries to update it automatically from time to time and this can led to SMO not working again..

Best wishes,

Pedro.

3GISSMORACLE

Hi Thomas,

I've tested SMO GUI 3.1P1 with Java_1.6.0_update 26 on Windows 2008R2 , It works !

Best regards

Tien

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Did you manage to make this work?

Regards,

Pedro.

pedro_rocha

Hello!

I have just solve my issue, maybe it can help others.

I am running SMO 3.1 on Unix trying to access it through the Windows GUI. My machine is running Windows 7 32bit. (I think this works for SMO 3.1P1 and Windows 64 bit too)

First I ensured that Java version was 1.5 update 11 (not u22). That just made the GUI open, but I was getting some certificate error messages before it opened, so I just inserted the entry for my SMO server IP address and the name "snapmanager".

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Pedro Rocha.

3GISSMORACLE

Hi Pedro ,

Thank you for taking your time on my problem . I've got support info from one SMO expert. They say like this and it works for me now :

In the other hands, SMO GUI works with Java_1.6.0_update 26

1. Select a Windows 2008R2 host for a test case.  For best results, choose one with the SMO product installed, so that it is using the SMO GUI.  We should be able to get out best data from the SMO GUI.

Note:  To set a system up to use the SMO GUI, as compared with the Web GUI, install the SMO for Windows product on the system.  Once installed, shut down and disable the SMO_Server service, as it is not needed for a client-only system.

2. Attempt to execute the GUI.  Let it fail.

3. Since the GUI will not start, we cannot use it to collect data.  Access the command line for the host.  Enter command:  ‘smo system dump’.

4. Email me the resulting ‘jar’ file for analyze of the data contained in the jar file.

Best Regards/Tien

thomas_glodde

Btw.: There is a v3.2 to be released soon, i hope all these Windows 2008 & Java, language and whatever problems will be fixed then.

3GISSMORACLE

case closed

Tien

Public