Data Backup and Recovery

Error when adding a multipathed snapmirror into Snapcreator

andrew_griffiths

Hi again,

(Snapcreator 3.4.0, Linux x86-64)

I'm now trying to add my snapmirror runs into the snapcreator configuration. I am getting an error due to the snapmirror configurations using multipathing, so the error reads that the source filer does not match the configuration file :

OUTPUT: Snapmirror error: source specified does not match configuration file

I have two controllers, local source (V3140) : lv-netapp-controllera, destination at remote site over LES (FAS3140) : dr-na-ctla. Both are able to replicate data on a private VLAN. The data ports of the filers are not accessible via the main VLAN. If I had to use the main VLAN my only path would be via the 100Mb/sec e0M ports, so that would be unacceptable. The VLAN design has been mandated by our network people. So my snapmirror configuration is specified using a multipath. Snapmirror scheduling is switched off in anticipation of it being driven by snapcreator from OS cron.

/etc/snapmirror.conf

liverpool_to_dr=multi(10.135.40.12,10.135.40.212)

liverpool_to_dr:P01_sapdata_part1 dr-na-ctla:mirror_P01_sapdata_part1 compression=enable - - - -

Now to the snapcreator config:

Both filers are set in NTAP_USERS to be accessed via the normal VLAN by the Linux server running snapcreator. The snapmirror config was added to the snapcreator config and verified by the snapcreator GUI.

##########################

### SnapMirror Options ###

##########################

NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_UPDATE=Y

NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_CASCADING_UPDATE=N

SNAPMIRROR_VOLUMES=lv-netapp-controllera:P01_sapdata_part1

SNAPMIRROR_CASCADING_VOLUMES=

NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_WAIT=60

NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_USE_SNAPSHOT=Y

NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_MAX_TRANSFER=

When this runs and gets to the snapmirror stage I get an error following the snapmirror status stage:

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:07 2011] INFO: NetApp Snapmirror Status for lv-netapp-controllera finished successfully

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] DEBUG: ZAPI REQUEST

<system-get-ontapi-version></system-get-ontapi-version>

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] DEBUG: ZAPI RESULT

<results status="passed">

<major-version>1</major-version>

<minor-version>12</minor-version>

</results>

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] DEBUG: creating filer/vfiler executor for filer dr-na-ctla

########## Detecting Data OnTap mode for dr-na-ctla ##########

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] INFO: Data OnTap 7 mode detected

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] DEBUG: Connected to dr-na-ctla using API Version 1.12

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] INFO: Running NetApp Snapmirror Update on destination dr-na-ctla:mirror_P01_sapdata_part1 source lv

-netapp-controllera:P01_sapdata_part1

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] DEBUG: ZAPI REQUEST

<snapmirror-update>

<destination-location>dr-na-ctla:mirror_P01_sapdata_part1</destination-location>

<source-location>lv-netapp-controllera:P01_sapdata_part1</source-location>

</snapmirror-update>

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] DEBUG: ZAPI RESULT

<results status="failed" errno="13102" reason="Snapmirror error: source specified does not match configuration file "></result

s>

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] OUTPUT: Snapmirror error: source specified does not match configuration file

[Fri Nov 11 15:40:09 2011] ERROR: [scf-00013] NetApp Snapmirror Update on destination dr-na-ctla:mirror_P01_sapdata_part1 fail

ed! Exiting

Presumably, when executing the snapmirror update on the destination filer it fails due to the mismatch between the source filer name and the source multipath name in snapmirror.conf

If I try using the multipath name e.g.  SNAPMIRROR_VOLUMES=liverpool_to_dr:P01_sapdata_part1

it is ignored, presumably cos it's not in NTAP_USERS.

Any ideas please, or have I come up against an unsupported feature?

Regards

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

Hi Andy,

You are fine 🙂 You just need to use SECONDARY_INTERFACES parameter. This is advanced option and cannot be set from GUI. SC by default will only use default interface for snapmirror which in your case is 100MB and you want to use a secondary interface.

Please try following settings:

VOLUMES=lv-netapp-controllera:P01_sapdata_part1

SECONDARY_INTERFACES=lv-netapp-controllera:liverpool_to_dr/<here you enter snapmirror destination interface or name>

This tells SC that for snapmirror use liverpool_to_dr instead of lv-netapp-controllera, its simply a mapping.

Basically what SC cares about is the name or ip that shows up when doing "snapmirror status" on primary storage system.

VOLUMES and SNAPMIRROR_VOLUMES should always be primary storage system and the default name or interface storage system is known as.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Keith

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ktenzer

Hi Andy,

You are fine 🙂 You just need to use SECONDARY_INTERFACES parameter. This is advanced option and cannot be set from GUI. SC by default will only use default interface for snapmirror which in your case is 100MB and you want to use a secondary interface.

Please try following settings:

VOLUMES=lv-netapp-controllera:P01_sapdata_part1

SECONDARY_INTERFACES=lv-netapp-controllera:liverpool_to_dr/<here you enter snapmirror destination interface or name>

This tells SC that for snapmirror use liverpool_to_dr instead of lv-netapp-controllera, its simply a mapping.

Basically what SC cares about is the name or ip that shows up when doing "snapmirror status" on primary storage system.

VOLUMES and SNAPMIRROR_VOLUMES should always be primary storage system and the default name or interface storage system is known as.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Keith

andrew_griffiths

Thanks Keith, I'll try that on Monday morning when I'm back in the office.

One thing occurs to me though. As normal snapmirror sessions are initiated from the destination filer wouldn't it be more practical to specify your snapmirrors in a snapcreator config in terms of their destinations rather than the sources. After all, snapcreator ends up using ZAPI to initiate the snapmirror on the destination filer. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Andy

andrew_griffiths

Works a treat! Thanks again

Andy

Public