Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

Exchange 2010, VMDKs on NFS, Snapmanager for Exchange support?

Our SQL 2008 R2 server runs under VMWare with VMDKs residing on an NFS datastore for the SQL database and log files. We use Snapmanager for SQL 5.1 in conjunction with Snapdrive 6.3 and VSC 2.0.1 to backup the SQL databases.

I am running Exchange 2007 under VMWare and have two luns presented to Exchange using the Microsoft's iSCSI initiator. These luns are used for the Exchange database and Exchange log files. We use Snapmanger for Exchange to backup the Exchange database.

We want to make the jump to Exchange 2010 and desire a similar setup to SQL. I want to have VMDKs residing on an NFS datastore for the Exchange database and log files. This setup will run Exchange 2010 just fine. The question is when will Netapp support Snapmanager for Exchange in this setup?

Re: Exchange 2010, VMDKs on NFS, Snapmanager for Exchange support?

All SMEX versions require your exchange stores to be on a LUN.

Regards,

Niek

I realize that now all versions require luns. When Snapdrive 6.3 and VSC 2.0.1 were released they provided for snapshots of VMDKs on NFS datastores using SMSQL. At that time, Netapp said that at some point in the future this same functionality will come to SMEX. I am wondering if a timeframe when this will be supported has been established.

Hey,

Might there be any news about this Topic? Is there anything about this on the Roadmap?

Regards,

Marc

it's a pity. i hope i will be possible soon.

Exchange 2010, VMDKs on NFS, Snapmanager for Exchange support?

I am planning for the implementation of VSC 2.0.1 and happened upon this post. I am pretty sure NetApp supports Exchange running in NFS data stores using SnapDrive created LUNs with Snap Manager for Exchange and SQL. I have never had any problems when calling support about a rare SME issue. We run Exchange and SQL in VMware using NFS mounted data stores. The LUNs are created through Snap Drive (v. 6.3) and reside inside the NFS data store and SME or SMSQL back the various databases up. The install/setup/admin guides and best practice guides walk through this configuration pretty well. One thing they suggest in SQL anyways is to use a separate flexvol for each instance or database. Of course there are limitations in VMware as to the number of NFS data stores (8) that can be used by a single host. I stray from this best practice in SQL since we have 8 NFS datastores on each of our VM clusters so SQL only gets one NFS volume with multiple LUNS inside that volume for each instance/database. The system databases reside in their own LUN as do the transaction logs.

We are using VMware ESX 3.5

Exchange 2003 with SDW 6.3.0.4601 and SME 6.0.0.706 in one NFS datastore with 4 LUNs.

SQL 2008 Standard on Windows 2008R2 with SDW 6.3.0.4601 and SMSQL 5.0R1 in one NFS datastore with 6 LUNs.

We also use SMO for all of our Oracle database running on either Solaris Sparc or Oracle/Linux in VMware.

I am looking for info on VSC 2.0 in ESX 3.5 if anyone has any tips or horror stories. Trying to decide if we should implement VSC now or wait until we upgrade our VM infrastructure and move to Vsphere 5.

Thanks!

This configuration is only supported for SQL and SnapManager for SQL at the moment. This configuration is not supported with SnapManager for Exchange currently.

Mike Klass

Manager, Microsoft Solutions Sales and Technical Enablement

NetApp

+1.919.476.5280 Direct

+1.919.749.3765 Mobile

www.netapp.com<http://www.netapp.com/us/?REF_SOURCE=emmbonrunnersignaturehp-us>

<http://www.netapp.com/us/?REF_SOURCE=emmbonrunnersignaturehp-us

For SMSQL please refer TR-3941 for vmdk implementation.

Regards,

Abhishek

This is something that is currently making me nervous about moving to a NetApp solution, is there any news / roadmap of when Exchange on vmdk is going to be supported?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

It's not as if Exchange won't work on NetApp gear on NFS or VMFS - but you just won't be able to do certain things regarding app-aware snaps.

Why would lack of support for this make you nervous about going to a NetApp solution in general?

No other vendor supports the NetApp-type snaps of Exchange with Exchange on NFS or VMFS anyway.

No other vendor has the depth of NetApp/Exchange integration in general, either.

If you deploy Exchange with RDMs (very easy) then you can do everything.