Data Backup and Recovery

Fractional Reserve on FlexClone

james_f_hall

I am having an issue with Snap Drive for Unix 4.1.1 and creating a FlexClone volume off a snapshot so that we can backup up that volume.

I have two parent volumes, on one each filer head. The vol options are such:

napp1> vol options xdb3vol0
nosnap=off, nosnapdir=off, minra=off, no_atime_update=off, nvfail=off,
ignore_inconsistent=off, snapmirrored=off, create_ucode=on,
convert_ucode=off, maxdirsize=167690, schedsnapname=ordinal,
fs_size_fixed=off, compression=off, guarantee=volume, svo_enable=off,
svo_checksum=off, svo_allow_rman=off, svo_reject_errors=off,
no_i2p=off, fractional_reserve=0, extent=off, try_first=volume_grow,
read_realloc=off, snapshot_clone_dependency=off
napp1>

A snap was created yesterday:

Filesystem               total       used      avail capacity  Mounted on
/vol/xdb3vol0/          1850GB     1754GB       96GB      95%  /vol/xdb3vol0/
/vol/xdb3vol0/.snapshot      462GB       63GB      399GB      14%  /vol/xdb3vol0/.snapshot

But when the AIX admin tries to connect to the snapshot and create a flexclone volume we get the following error:

Sun May  2 15:14:06 CDT [napp1:  wafl.volume.clone.fractional_rsrv.changed:info]: Fractional reservation for  clone 'Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot' was changed  to 100 percent because guarantee is set to  'file' or 'none'.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  wafl.volume.clone.created:info]: Volume clone  Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot of volume xdb3vol0  was created successfully.

Creation of clone volume  'Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot' has  completed.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun13 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun12 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun11 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun10 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun15 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun16 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:11 CDT [napp1:  lun.newLocation.offline:warning]: LUN  /vol/Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot/lun14 has been  taken offline to prevent map conflicts after a copy or move  operation.

Sun May  2 15:14:19 CDT [napp1:  wafl.vol.autoSize.done:info]: Automatic increase size of volume  'Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot' by 70464308 kbytes  done.

Sun May  2 15:14:31 CDT [napp1:  wafl.vol.autoSize.fail:info]: Unable to grow  volume 'Snapdrive_xdb3vol0_volume_clone_from_snap_vgmfgdss_snapshot' to recover  space: Volume cannot be grown beyond maximum growth  limit

If this a flexclone that is backed by a snapshot, then shouldn't it utilize the snapshot for any deltas? What changes do I need to make to the parent volume.

What is the point of having snapshot and flxeclone if I have to have 100% of the space reserved for it? If, for some unforseen reason, more than 20% of data were to change, I wouldn't mind the snap and flexclone being auto deleted as long as the parent volume and it's LUNs stay online. It would seem to be an inefficient use of resources if I have to have 100% fractional reserve.

17 REPLIES 17
Public