Data Backup and Recovery

GUI Internal scheduler strangeness

f_duranti

Hi, I'm doing some tests with the internal scheduler and it seems that it will do something strange in some  circumstance.

It seems that if I start the gui but don't login to the browser interface the scheduling do not start so if I reboot the backup server and don't login to the gui I will get no backup job starting (not good at all).

More then this if I connect to the gui and there's some job that should have started in the past (when the gui scheduler was shutted down) it will start the backup job immediately and this is also not good because I have for example some oracle database that will do offline backup (shutting down and restarting oracle) and in this way It could happen that I get the database shutted down during working hour.

This is the step I've done to reproduce it (I have 1 configuration file only):

1) I've scheduled a backup to happen at 12.59.

2) At 12.56 and I shutted down the gui and started back it, waited until 13.03 and the backup was not run.

3) At this time I logged on the gui and as soon as I logged into the gui the backup started.

Is this the normal behaviour, a bug or there's something I've misconfigured ?

The snapcreator is version 3.4.0 installed under redhat linux 5.

Thanks

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

Hi Francesco,

Yes I am sorry to say this is a bug in both SC 3.3.0 and SC 3.4.0 (but wasnt reported or found till after release of SC 3.4.0). BURT 516935 has been created for this issue. The problem is that we use Quartz for our scheduler and we only start the Quartz process when someone logs or attempts to log into the GUI. This BURT has been fixed (starting Quartz when Jetty / GUI starts not when someone tries to log-in) and we will as far as I know be releasing a 3.4p1 (no confirmed date yet, we want to wait a few weeks to see what other bugs surface) with this fix as well as some others. The release notes are also being updated with this bug and some other's that were reported.

WORKAROUND:

1. After restarting GUI, log-in once so scheduler starts

2. Dont use SC Internal Scheduler instead use crontab (UNIX)

3. Dont use SC Internal Scheduler instead use task-manager (Windows)

Regards,

Keith

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Public