Data Backup and Recovery

HANA plugin

NBGZIEGLERH

Hi Community,

yesterday HANA Version SPS7 was released by SAP. This new SupportPackageStack is empowered to support storage snapshots.

Are there any activities for SnapCreator Plugin HANA?

Regards,

Harald

14 REPLIES 14

Arora_Kapil

Hi,

I am currently working on this plug-in and it is currently in testing phase.

Our plan is to release it as a community plug-in with Snap Creator 4.1 NetApp release.

Please reach out to me if you have an urgent need and if a customer is looking to get hands on it before that time-frame.

Thanks,

Kapil

NBGZIEGLERH

Hi,

thank you very much.

When will SnapCreator 4.1 be released?

If you can provide me with the current plug-in will be very helpful

Thanks

Harald

Arora_Kapil

Hi,

I can provide you access to the plug-in but the new plug-in is a java plug-in and wouldn't work with the Snap Creator 4.0.

Also, there is an issue in the Snap Creator 4.1 community release due to which the plug-in wouldn't work with it as well.

So, the plug-in is only usable with the Snap Creator 4.1 NetApp release which is expected to come out by 2nd week of January.

Thanks,

Kapil

deepr

Hi,

I understand the NetApp release of Snap Creator 4.1 has just come out. Where can one get access to the HANA plug-in supporting SPS7?

Best Regards

Deep

Arora_Kapil

HANA plug-in is available for download @ Snap Creator community on Github.

Here is the path to the tar package hana_community_plugin.tar.gz:

https://github.com/NetApp/SC-HANA/tree/R4.1.0cp2

This package has a install.sh script which can be used to install both the plug-in and its GUI.

The package is only available to SC community members, if you want to join the community goto: www.snapcreator.com.

Thanks,

Kapil

Message was edited by: Kapil Arora Updated the link to HANA community plug-in package.

NBGZIEGLERH

Dear Kapil,

in current version of HANA plugin the login will be done with USER/PASSWORD. Why do you don't use the hdbuserstore .... For hdbuserstore you only have to know the key ... so you don't have to think about password changes and it's more secure.

Regards,

Harald

Arora_Kapil

Thank you for your input.

I am aware of this functionality and I will take your request and add this to the new community plug-in which also supports sps7.

Kapil

NBGZIEGLERH

Hi Kapil,

thanks.

I'm a little bit confused ... I thought official 4.1 from now is already supporting HANA storage based snapshots which is a new feature came with SPS7 or is it necessary to install the community plugin on top of it to get the SPS7 functionality?

Harald

Arora_Kapil

No, Snap Creator Framework v4.1 ships only with HANA plug-in which supports HANA sps06, the built in plug-in doesn't support storage snapshots in new sps07.

We have a new community plug-in which is re-written and supports Storage snapshots and sps07 functionalists. This plug-in is currently getting tested, both internally by us and externally by customers.

I am continuously working on improving it and we plan to ship it with the next release of Snap Creator.

Thanks,

Kapil

NBGZIEGLERH

Thanks. That means V4.1 is supporting snapshots which are not marked as a HANA backup. It's not possible to make a log recovery after snap restore. Right?

Do you have any plan to implement log handling?

Thanks,

Harald

Arora_Kapil

That's correct. In the current built in plug-in recovery and log apply is not possible.

But in the community plug-in you can see your Snap Creator snapshots in the HANA studio and do a proper recovery using log backups.

I am currently working on a generic log management/handling Snap Creator plug-in.

If you have any requirements or ideas about a log handling solution for HANA, you can send me your requests and we will consider them in our implementation.

This plugin will be able copy log backups from primary to secondary and delete/purge them based on retention policies.

Thanks,

Kapil

NBGZIEGLERH

Hi Kapil,

Following features would be very nice:

• Base for identify archived LOGs should be HANA internal DB views
  • Retention time for primary destination (global ini parameter basepath_logbackup) with delete/purge functionality
  • Copy of archived logfiles from primary destination to other locations:
    • open script interface for commands like bpbackup from NBU to be prepared for tape backup.
    • using scp command to transfer to other hosts
    • transfering to 2nd/3rd location filesystem mounted on db host including retention / deletion handling

From my experience also a combination between of these methods are sometimes necessary. For example: 1st using scp to copy to another host (maybe other DC location) 2nd copy to another NFS share which consists of another disk tier.

Thanks,

Harald

NBGZIEGLERH

Dear Kapil,

any news on discussion about logfile handling?

Thanks,

Harald

markus_boss

Hi, I can not find hana_community_plugin.tar.gz on https://github.com/NetApp/SC-HANA/blob/main/hana_community_plugin.tar.gz

Or an https://github.com at all.

Please advice, Thanks a lot

Public