Data Backup and Recovery

Increased LUN Size not recognized by Windows

moethegreat

Howdy all,

As a new NetApp user I am trying my best to work my way through the guides and manuals but I have yet to find a definitive answer yet.

We have created a LUN that is seen by our Windows 2K3 Server.  (Which only has MPIO installed)   It shows up as the 250 GB that was originally created.

Then we increased the size of the LUN to 275GB but Windows doesn't recognize the new size.

My question is do I need SnapDrive or something else on the windows box to make it see the larger LUN and show up as 275GB or is there something on windows like Diskpart Extend command I can use?

There is no data on the drive yet as we are testing this out but we would like to do this to a few production LUNs that do have data on them.

Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Moe the New Guy.

2 REPLIES 2

tyeoman_swinton

Snapdrive will do this kind of thing for you, without Snapdrive you will need to inform NTFS that the partition has changed using such tools as diskpart etc.

moethegreat

Good to know I was on the right path.  Although Diskpart Extend command won't let me extend the volume. (saying it has less them 1mb or free space)

I will see if I have better luck with Snap Drive.

Thanks

Moe

Public