Data Backup and Recovery

Invalid/Local Drive Snap Manager SQL

isaacdoku

Hi,

I am having the same issue as described in this discussion.

http://communities.netapp.com/message/18379

I have a 2005 SQL Failover cluster.

Unfortunately the storage was not configured correctly from the outset.

LUNs were presented to the Windows Hosts via SnapDrive.

VOL1/DBS_LUN

VOL1/LOGS_LUN

In bad practice fashion the System DB's were installed on the same LUN as the User DB's.

We presented another clustered LUN via SnapDrive to house the System DB's

We were unable to move the System DB's using SnapManager For SQL so this was done using SQLCMD's.

The SnapManager For SQL Configuration Wizard now reports on the Database Selection page that all the User DB are 'Invalid/Local'

In the window below the System DB's are showing as being on the new LUN.

All the .mdf & .ldf files for the System DBs have been removed from the old LUN location.

Please can you help ?

Thanks

Scott

4 REPLIES 4

sourav

Hi Scott,

This looks a slightly unusual scenario. Can you provide me with two pieces of information: -

1. Screen-shot of the SMSQL Config Wizard for the Database Migration portion.

2. The exact listing of the files on the concerned LUNs including the actual location of the LUNs. Please mention whether you are using drive letters or mount points.

I will look into this further once the above information is given.

Regards,

Sourav.

parkerj

Scott,

When you moved the system databases did you follow the following steps:

To move a system database data or log file as part of a planned relocation or scheduled maintenance operation, follow these steps. This procedure applies to all system databases except the master and Resource databases.

1. For each file to be moved, run the following statement.

Copy Code
    ALTER DATABASE database_name MODIFY FILE ( NAME = logical_name , FILENAME = 'new_path/os_file_name' )
  2. Stop the instance of SQL Server or shut down the system to perform maintenance. For more information, see Stopping Services.

3. Move the file or files to the new location.

4. Restart the instance of SQL Server or the server. For more information, see Starting and Restarting Services.

5. Verify the file change by running the following query.

Copy Code
    SELECT name, physical_name AS CurrentLocation, state_desc
    FROM sys.master_files
    WHERE database_id = DB_ID(N'<database_name>');

John

scotte1976

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have managed to sort this out using the SQL Commands.

Thanks

Scott

sourav

Hi,

This error is purely due to incorrect database layout in the storage device. Please refer to the Installation and Admin Guide of SMSQL (Chapter 6) and ensure that no rule is violated. If all that is done and you still get the same error then we'll have to investigate.

Regards,

Sourav.

Public