Data Backup and Recovery

Move shares from windows 2008 32 bit to CIFS

illllm

All,

I need to move all shares on our windows 2003 and 2008 servers to CIFS shares. What are your thoughts on how to acheive this? How do i retain file and share permissions?

Maybe create a volume, robocopy and do the CIFS share permissions one my one?

2 REPLIES 2

thomas_glodde

Hi,

create volumes and shares on the netapp and then go for

robocopy.exe "\\source\share" "\\dest\share" /MIR /SEC /R:1 /W:1 /ETA

You can run that command multiple times for delta transfers. When moving huge chunks pipe the output to a file with /L:logfile to speed up the process.

Google around a bit for robocopy, there are even gui tools available.

If you have very very old and chaotic structures, securecopy is worth a try but it costs per migration.

Good luck!

mbeattie

Hi,

A few points to consider for your migration:

• How many shares amongst how many servers?
  • Does the destination CIFS share need to be accessed via the old hostname? Do you need to set any NetBIOS aliases or DNS CName's and SPN's?
  • What type of data are you migrating? Consider that their might be links and macros in files that reference data by network drive letter, hostname (or worse by IP address)
  • Do your existing shares on your windows servers integrate with DFS?

You can use robocopy to migrate the data (specify the /COPYALL parameter to maintain the NTFS permissions).
As for the CIFS share permissions there are a number of the methods you could use to enumerate a list of shares on the windows servers and the permissions (WMI, .NET or native powershell cmdlets such as "Get-SMBShareAccess").
Once you've completed a discovery of the source shares and permissions you can use that information to set the destination CIFS share permissions.

If you are migrating a large number of shares and need to set the CIFS share permissions on the destination then i'd recommend you script it. You can use the NetApp DataONTAP powershell toolkit available here:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/tools/info/ECMLP2310788I.html?productID=61926

see the cmdlet syntax for setting CIFS share ACL's.

Get-Help Set-NcCifsShareAcl

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public