Data Backup and Recovery

Moving Snapprotect Volumes to an other aggregate

KFU

Hello Community,

we use Snapprotect to protect our Exchange and vMWare environment. Snapprotect manages SnapVault Snapshots to a secondary cDot system as a Snapshot copy.

My question is: What do I have to take attention for, if I will move volumes on the secondary system from one aggregate to an other (same node) with the vol move command? Do I have to change settings in the storage policy of Snapprotect, because of changing the destination aggregate or does OCUM will manage the change of the protection set automatically?

Info: We already entered the new aggregate into OCUM Resource Pool.

KFU

8 REPLIES 8

Jeff_Yao

1. Check that there is no backup activity in SnapProtect for requested relationships
  2. Unschedule backup jobs for the time of migration
  3. Add new aggregate to which the destination volume should be transferred to the same resource pool
  4. Migrate destination volume in Netapp Management Console
    Go to Hosts->Aggregates->Manage Space 
    Choose volume needed to be migrated ->Plan task ->Migrate

KFU

schmitz_peter

Hey,

sometimes I think we are the only ones using SnapProtect...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it's awfully unanswered.

Anyways, have you ever got an answer to this question? We, too, need to move volumes from one (full) aggregate to another, but I don't know how to tell SnapProtect about the new location. Or will a "vol move" retain all IDs and snapvault relationships, so we wouldn't have to do anything but move?!

Thanks for any info.

Peter

KFU

Hello Peter,

thank you for your post, thats exactly my point of view. Unfortunally, i didn´t got an answer to this toppic. Last time we were able to built new policies which used the other aggregate. But now we are in the situation, that we do not have the time to wait for rebuilding the backups because of limited space. So only a real "move" would help us or to buy a shelf only for reorganization. The last is not realy an option for us. But I´m in contact with our technical support. If there is a way and they will find it, I will let u know.

Regards

Felix

schmitz_peter

Hi Felix,

cheers, I would appreciate that very much!

Maybe ONTAP 9's "vol move" can handle it hassle-free...

Peter

KFU

Hello again,

I´m happy to present a solution for cDot environment:

1. Create a new Resource Pool for the destination aggregate on OCUM -> Storage -> Resource Pools

2. Add the new Resource Pool to the Storage Policy in SnapProtect -> Storage Policies -> Policy xy -> Properties -> Provisioning -> Add Resource Pool

3. Move the volume from one aggregate to the other on CLI or GUI

4. Check if new snapshots have been transmitted with theire schedule

5. Remove the old Resource Pool from the Storage Policy in SnapProtect -> Storage Policies -> Policy xy -> Properties -> Provisioning -> Remove Resource Pool

I can´t give any guarantee  for your environment, but in our environment it works well and without any influence.

Would be glad to hear, that it worked for you too.

Regards,

KFU

schmitz_peter

Hi Felix,

great news, thank you!

We will give this a shot as soon as our cluster gets new shelves.

Cheers

Peter

KFU

Hello again!

I moved about 80 volumes now. All of them were volumes created by snapprotect (intellisnap). Everything worked fine. You can check whats going on in the background of volume moving, if you open the event menu of OCUM and set the trigger also on information. If you now sort by time you will see every volume move which is in progress and ther will be also information about the completion of it. Impact area for this events is "Protection". So you can see that OCUM will handle the connections for protection.

Regards

KFU

Public