Subscribe
Accepted Solution

NetApp/NetBackup question

[ Edited ]

Hi,

While quite familiar with NetApp, I am a stranger to NetBackup, an environment I inherited.  We do NDMP dumps of volumes to NBU nightly, and what I've found is that it's a pain to keep NBU up to date with all the new volumes being added to the NetApp on a daily basis.  I'm looking for a bulk-add, cli, solution to add "Backup Selections", i.e. the volumes on a netapp, to an NBU policy.  Basically refreshing the backup selections list on a nightly or weekly basis to make sure nothing's getting missed.

Anyone got any ideas?

Re: NetApp/NetBackup question

You can use bpplinclude (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/, assuming unix):

USAGE: bpplinclude policy_name [-v] [-M master_server,...] -L|-l
       bpplinclude policy_name [-v] [-M master_server,...] [-generation generation] [-reason "<reason>"]
           {-add path_name ...} |
           (-add -f filename} |
           (-delete path_name ...} |
           {-delete -f filename} |
           {-modify {old_path_name new_path_name} ...}

Note: paths with wildcards must be quoted.

The 1st synopsis will give you the current list - the 2nd will let you add paths.  It should be pretty easy to get a list of current vols, compare it to the list of existing includes, and add anything missing.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

It seems this will let you add the same path over and over without reporting an error.  Odd.

Sadly our netbackup environment is on a windows host, so while I can easily generate a list of volumes from the netapp via my linux admin host, I'll have to learn about windows FOR loops.  Booo.

Install perl!  Anything beats trying to maintain a script in windows.....

You also also use NetApp Powershell toolkit which is supposed to be more extensive than perl API.