Data Backup and Recovery

No databases in inventory in snapcenter

JohnnyHermansson

Hi!

Starting to play with snapcenter after insight in Berlin.

Have a problem with it.

I have added hosts and plugins for windows and sql server (had to install WMF 4.0 manually before the installation of windows plugin).

My problem is that under inventory it shows no databases. (It shows instances).

Uninstalled snapdrive first and disabled the snapmanager service.

Have tried in a windows 2008r2 sp1 machine and in a windows 2012 r2 server and both have sql server 2012 on them.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Johnny

8 REPLIES 8

Sahana

Hi,

Refer Identifying available resources on page 14 in the guide : https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP12392445

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

aborzenkov

I get "Unauthorized access" for this link. Is it internal only?

Sahana

Remove the space after .html It should work. I have edited my earlier reply withoput the extra space, please try again.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

JohnnyHermansson

Hi!

We noticed that the instances had a locked padlock on them, in your documentation it was open.

Our snapcenter login account doesnt have permission to SQL on our database servers. We have a run as account that has permissions to them.

When we added that account to snapcenter admins and logged in with it to snapcenter we could do a refresh and then the databases showed up.

Is that how it is meant to be?

Why then have a run as account if the snapcenter login account has to have permissions to the database servers?

Regards

Johnny

Sahana

Hi 

To execute jobs on a SQL Server instance, you must set up a Run As account with the correct SQL Server credentials. refer Setting up your Run As account on page 22 on https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP12392446

Snapcenter Operations guide for SQl can be found at https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP12431059

JohnnyHermansson

Yes, we have done that and if we use that RUN AS account to log in to snapcenter everything works.

But not if we use a domain account in snapcenter that doesnt have permissions to the SQL server!

Example. if we use an account that have permission and do a refresh we see the databases.

If we logout again and refresh with another account without permission to SQL all the databases disappear again.

Sahana

Hi,

Any account login without permissions to access SQL database will not be authorized to view the database. Hence account without permission to SQL will make the databases disappear again.

JohnnyHermansson

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.

I accept it as a solution but it sounds a bit funny.

If I have a backup administrator that works in snapcenter that isn't a DBA I dont want him to have access to the databases but I want him to do cloning and backup of them.

I cant understand the logic behind it then to have different logins.

Public