Data Backup and Recovery

Problem with resizing luns via Snapdrive for Linux 4.1.1

brianhill

Hi Yall!!

I'm having a bit of a problem that i'm hoping someone can help me with. I was just on the horn with Netapp AGAIN today for nearly an hour and they couldn't figure out the proper syntax to resizing a lun via Snapdrive on the command line. This link below shows the command and syntax however I'm a little unclear (being a non-Unix expert) so I'm reaching out to see if any of you can help me accomplish this ASAP.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/snapdrive/relunix411/html/software/install_linux/provisioning/concept/c_sd_prov_increase_strg_size.html

And below is some out put of the syntax I used from the link above. Maybe one of you can help me with the correct command to resize the lun on our Netapp using Snapdrive for Linux. I keep getting this error returned when running the "snapdrive storage resize" command.

I'm not sure what "-dg_file" means nor do i know why it doesn't understand the "-lun" option. Again, the syntax in this command i'm sure is wrong but i have tried many different variations!

[root@NLOS1OX102 ~]# snapdrive storage resize fp_lun -growto size 1500g

Auto detection of file_spec(s) in progress ...

9000-305 Command error: Could not detect type of the entity fp_lun. Provide a specific option (-lun, -dg, -fs or -lvol) if you know the type of the entity.

[root@NLOS1OX102 ~]#

7 REPLIES 7

lwei

shubhada

Hi,

The resize operation is not supported directly on logical host volumes, or on file systems that reside on logical host volumes or on LUNs. In those cases, you must use the LVM commands to resize the storage.

You cannot resize a LUN; you must use the -addlun option to add a new LUN.

snapdrive storage resize -dg -addlun

This will add a new lun with the specifiesd size.

Do a snapdrive storage show -all to list the diskgroup,filesystem name.

Hope this helps.

-Shubhada

brianhill

Hi. You all provide great insight however Im not sure I made clear as to the type of lun that already exists.

The LUN was orgininally created on the netapp using the "snapdrive storage create" command.

I'm not sure how adding a lun using the "addlun" switch is going to increase the size of my 2500g lun to..........say a 3000g lun?

Lastly, LVM doesn't manage these at all.

Thanks,
Brian

nikhilm

snapdrive storage resize -dg file_spec { -growby | -growto } size [-addlun [-igroup ig_name [ig_name ...]]] [{ -reserve | - noreserve}]] [-fstype type] [-vmtype type]

Here, -dg is to specify disk group on the host .

file_spec, is name of the diskgroup.

For. e.g If you have veritas volume manager on the host , you need to create a dg (disk group) on the host.

Under this dg , you can place veritas volumes. Later on using vxfs you can put filesystem on the veritas volume to hold application data.

if suppose I create dg=testdg on the host, and one volume (testvol) under the dg , than my Snapdrive resize command would look like as :-

snapdrive storage resize -dg testdg -growto 1500g -addlun

brianhill

Hi. You all provide great insight however Im not sure I made clear as to the type of lun that already exists.

The LUN was orgininally created on the netapp using the "snapdrive storage create" command.

I'm not sure how adding a lun using the "addlun" switch is going to increase the size of my 2500g lun to..........say a 3000g lun?

Lastly, LVM doesn't manage these at all.

Thanks,
Brian

nikhilm

snapdrive storage resize -dg file_spec { -growby | -growto } size [-addlun [-igroup ig_name [ig_name...]]] [{ -reserve | - noreserve}]] [-fstype type] [-vmtype type]

If you see the above syntax of SDU resize , -dg is the mandatory parameter for storage resize.

If you have not created any dg (using LVM or veritas volume managers) on the lun and you don't have any data on the lun, than i think you have to delete the old lun and create new lun of size 3000g.

yaeldefaye

Have you ever figure out a solution to your problem?

I'm at the same point as you where a year and a half ago.

Public