Data Backup and Recovery

RBS location on snapmanage for sharepoint

GUVNIJJAR

I need some advice on snapmanager for sharepoint and the latest version 7.11, and on the RBS setup.  For the RBS you can setup a storage location on the filers where you want to store the documents which is the RBS.  I can setup a new volume for each RBS per web applicatiom or site in sharepoint, and then setup a CIFS share on it.

I wanted to ask for a rbs storage location, is it best to setup a volume or a qtree, any advantages of having either.

Any advice

4 REPLIES 4

gcheryl

Hello Gurvinder,

The best practice is to keep BLOB shares separate for each farm / SQL server instance. The Stub database for the farm will maintain reference pointers to externalize-retrieve BLOB content from NetApp CIFS shares. There is no real need for qtree to get RBS working correctly. But if you go with qtrees, keep a 1:1 ratio between volumes and qtrees.

If SnapVault integration is planned, the LUN should always be placed in a qtree.

Also place the SMSP index on a separate LUN/ CIFS share from that of the RBS data.

Regards,

Cheryl

GUVNIJJAR

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for the reply.

I was planning on setting a volume for RBS per a site collection as each site collection has its own content database.  But from your previous post you are saying you can create a volume for RBS per a sharepoint farm no matter how many content databases there are.

Also we do want to use snapvault integration eventually in the future, so do we need to setup a LUN  for the RBS location, as I read somewhere you can only setup the volume or qtree as a cifs share for RBS only.

gcheryl

Hello Gurvinder,

The general guideline is to choose create a volume for RBS per a sharepoint farm. Although you choose to setup a volume for RBS per site collection as well.

You're right, setup a qtree for RBS in order to leverage the Netapp SnapVault feature later.

Regards,

Cheryl

GUVNIJJAR

Thanks for the reply back Cheryl.

I am going to setup a volume, qtree and then enable cifs for this qtree and enable this for RBS for the whole sharepoint farm.  I guess we cant use luns for RBS,

Also i want to utlilize the sync data to associated physical devices as part of the logical device setup, is there any impact on using this feature.  I want to create 2 physical devices on under 2 different filers, so that data from rbs gets synced between 2 filers.  Is this a recommended setup, is there any performance impact, should it be best if the physical devices are on the same filer.

Thanks

Public