Data Backup and Recovery

Regarding Space release after deleting contents from LUN and CIFS/NFS

praveen121b

Hi All,

Got a doublt please help me understand the concept.

When I delete all the contents from LUN NetApp Storage still shows the LUN as full since the blocks are being held up by snapshots and we need Snapdrive to release the space.

But in the same way if i delete data from NFS or CIFS shares it gets reflected the released/deleted space in NetApp without Snapdrive, but as per my knowledge here also snapshots have the data backedup.

Please explain this concept.

Praveen. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mikkisse

Question on Thick Provisioned LUN:

1) After deleting 50GB from host side how much data can I put again, 50GB or 100GB, if I am not deleting the snapshot on storage?

You can put 100GB of data on your 100GB thick Lun. You can create additional 100GB Lun in your 200GB Volume, but there will not be space for snapshots.

2) Do I need to create volume double the size of LUN to utilize the full capacity of the LUN as same size of space would be used by snapshot? 

No, you don't need. Percent of free space at volume depends by your snapshot policy, data changerate etc. In my practice there are around 20% of volume, when snapshot technology used. By the way you can setup snapshot autodelete policies, when (for example) volume space near 5%. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Public