Subscribe
Accepted Solution

Running Snap Creator (Action : Backup) from the Agent

[ Edited ]

Please see attached server config that I use to register a SMVI created snapshot to protection manager dataset (using NTAP_USE_EXTERNAL_SNAPSHOT).

I am wondering if we can include the following CLI as a post command to SMVI such that the SnapVault backup is fully integrated -

snapcreator.exe   --server  10.128.113.174  --port  8443  --user  admin  --passwd  netapp1  --profile  Modi_Lab  --policy  daily  --action  backup  --config  SMVI_Remote_Backups  --verbose

Do I need to install the scServer in addition to the Agent on the VSC/SMVI host to enable running the above CLI as a post command within SMVI ?

Re: Running Snap Creator (Action : Backup) from the Agent

Hello Modi,

You should be able to utilize the snapcreator command line to start the backup like you have described. I would try with only installing the agent. You wouldn't even need to run the agent as a service, as you are just interested in the CLI.

One thing I would point out is that you are potentially missing the ability to centralize your snapmanager schedules in SC. You have described:

- Run SMVI schedule and create backup

- SMVI post script to call SC

- SC grabs external snapshot and then registers in PM

- PM then vaults the snapshot

If you wanted to have a central scheduler, you could do something like:

- Run SC schedule which calls SMVI on remote host to create backup

- SC grabs external snapshot and then registers in PM **

- PM then vaults the snapshot **

** You could even skip PM and just have SC handle the vaulting.

Thanks,

--

Chris

Thanks for your response Chris

I have in the past looked at leveraging SCF as a centralised scheduler to call SMVI but ran into the following issues -

• SMVI CLI does not allow setting a retention policy (GUI option only)

• If SCP managed local retention SMVI metadata would be orphaned

• SMVI CLI runs in user mode on the cmd prompt while the SCF agent runs as a windows service

• Something to do with UNIX environment where agents run on cmd prompt I.e. User mode

• This would be resolved only by writing a SMVI plug-In (which I believe would the official product in future)

Cheers,

Modi

Did you try the VIBE plugin?

Yes, the restores take longer for fcp based vmfs datastores.

I think smvi leverage storage vmotion.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4 on the Telstra 4G network

I am interested in having the Agent, tell SnapCreator Server to run a backup job.

From what you mention, how would tell the agent to do this? I cant see a snapcreator.exe when installing the Agent only?