Subscribe
Accepted Solution

SC 3.4 not deleteing Snap created via sdcli

[ Edited ]

Hi all

I'm still playing around with SC. Till now I'm able to get DB2 snaps. That's really nice. But although I have configured Snapshots Deletion with Yes, hourly retention with 3 and policy retention age with 1 all created snaps done using sdcli are still there. I assumed that only 3 per day should be listed with the previous mention configuration.

Here the specific line from the conf file

• NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=Y
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTIONS=hourly:3
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTION_AGE=1

What's going wrong here?

Best regards

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

This is a small GUI bug, the tool tip and message in GUI is wrong or another way to say it doesnt update the parameter correctly it does opposite of what you think. This will be fixed in next release for sure!

Please in GUI set snapshot deletion to N this in turns sets NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=N. Basically the parameter is a negatation, meaning you enable it to not delete snapshots.

I know a bit confusion but this is simple to deal with when you know what to look for. By default it is set correctly just people go in and change it because again GUI isnt explaining parameter correctly.

You want NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=N then SC will delete snaps

Regards,

Keith

Hi Keith

Changed parameter but snaps are not being deleted

Any further ideas why?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Thorsten

Well you have this NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTION_AGE=1 that means snapshots that are less than one day old wont be deleted even if you have more than 3 snapshots. Why dont you set following, snapshots should then delete

• NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=N
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTIONS=hourly:3
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTION_AGE=

Keith

Another Idea, just use GUI and click next without changing anything

Dont set NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTION_AGE unless you dont want snaps to be deleted that arent older than days specified here

Keith

Hi Keith or anybody else

Long time ago ;-)

I still have problems that snap will get deleted.

I want only 2 snaps available which are created with the houry policy. In a later step the daily policy will be used and then only 7 snaps should be available.

For the hourly I've configured the following

• SNAP_TIMESTAMP_ONLY=Y
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTIONS=hourly:2
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTION_AGE=
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=N
  • NTAP_SNAPSHOT_DELETE_BY_AGE_ONLY=N

Can you support me to get both configurations done correctly?

Thanks a lot

Thorsten

Just specify another policy like daily with 7. Then when you run --policy hourly there will be two snapshots and --policy daily 7.

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTIONS=hourly:2,daily:7

Regards,

Keith

Ok Keith, I configured now like said before but Snaps got still not deleted.

When I run job with debug I can see following in the Snapshot Rename section

•      ########## Running NetApp Snapshot Rename on Primary gdcna0002 ##########
  •      [Tue Sep 13 11:40:06 2011] INFO: sohp16gdcvi1302-hourly_20110913114000 is the first snapshot taken for gdcna0002:N2F01V133_SOH_P16_DBLog, Skipping!

In the SnapShot delete section only this is listed. And expected that here the deleted snaps should be listed

• ########## Running NetApp Snapshot Delete on Primary gdcna0002 ##########

Any other ideas what I can check to get it done?

Regards,

Thorsten

Can you please send your entire config file? I bet something isnt configured correctly

Keith

Tried now 2 times but I get delivery failure (address unknow) when I reply to your mail.

Any other options so I can provide you the conf file savely?

Thorsten