Subscribe

SMO 3.0 for Windows/Linux using RMAN

[ Edited ]

Hi Community

Okay firstly let me admit I know very little about SMO, Oracle and Linux. This is why I've followed the Install.pdf guide as much as possible.

PLEASE HELP

My problem is when trying to create a profile, whether we run the following command or use the GUI we get the same error:

******Command**Obviously changed to suite our environment**

[root@dbserver]# smo profile create -profile prod_profile -profile-password prod_profile_pass -repository -dbname smodb -host smoserver -port 1524 -login -username smorepo -database -dbname prod -host dbserver -sid prod -port 1524 -login -username smoadmin -password smoadmin_pass -rman -login -username rman -password rman_pass -tnsname smodb -osaccount oracle -osgroup dba

*****************GUI***************

From the GUI we select RMAN catalog mode

--[ INFO] SMO-13046: Operation GUID 8a80028a1e1b91b8011e1b91be44000a starting on Profile netdb_profile
--[ INFO] SMO-13505: SnapDrive environment verification passed.
--[ INFO] SMO-13507: JDBC verification for "smoadmin@oraclerac_pr1:1521/netdb1" passed.
--[ INFO] SMO-13506: SQLPlus verification for database SID "netdb1" passed. Environment: [ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/10gR2/db1]
--[ERROR] SMO-05075: Profile create failed: SMO-13504: Verify operation failed. Errors: [SMO-13510: RMAN verification using catalog "smodb" failed: ORACLE-00101: Error executing RMAN command: [LIST ARCHIVELOG LIKE 'SMO_RMAN_SANITY_CHECK';]. The command returned: RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of list command at 12/09/2008 13:46:27
RMAN-06429: RCVCAT database is not compatible with this version of RMAN]

Versions of Oracle are both 10g although SMO server is 10gR1 and RAC is 10gR2.

SMO servers is Windows while RAC is on Oralce Enterprise Linux 4 update 7

SD for Win 6.0.1

SD for Unix 4.1

SMO 3.0

Protocol = iSCSI

Using ASM and RMAN

Re: SMO 3.0 for Windows/Linux using RMAN

$ oerr rman 6429
6429, 1, "%s database is not compatible with this version of RMAN"
// *Cause:  The indicated database is not compatible with this version of
//          the Recovery Manager (RMAN).  Other messages have also
//          been issued which detail the cause of the error.
// *Action: See the other messages.  If the database is CATALOG, then you may
//          be able to use the CREATE CATALOG or UPGRADE CATALOG commands
//          to correct the problem.  If the database is TARGET or AUXILIARY,
//          then you must either upgrade the target database or use a
//          newer version of the RMAN executable.

SMO runs the "rman" binary from the Oracle installation on the target database server - in your case "oraclerac_pr1". The error message seems to be indicating that the version of the "rman" binary on "oraclerac_pr1" does not match the version of the database being used for your RMAN catalog.

If you're not that familiar with Oracle, then I would recommend just not using RMAN - it can be a real pain to set up and use, and (as you see) the error messages are not very helpful when something goes wrong. SMO will work fine without RMAN.

Re: SMO 3.0 for Windows/Linux using RMAN

Hi Michail,

SMO uses the RMAN binaries from the ORACLE_HOME used by target database (the database you want to back up), but your RMAN catalog resides in a database that is a different version of Oracle (10gR1). From what I understand, you cannot do this. Meaning, if you want to use an RMAN catalog to maintain information about a 10gR2 database, then you must create the catalog in a 10gR2 database as well.

One other thing to note... SMO does not support using 10gR1 for its repository (because of numerous bugs in 10gR1).

I would suggest creating the SMO repository and RMAN catalog in a 10gR2 database to solve your problem.