Data Backup and Recovery

SMSP 6 - support for Sharepoint/Sharepoint Foundation 2010 SP1

brobbins23

Does anyone know if SMSP supports Sharepoint/Sharepoint Foundatoin 2010 SP1?  I would like to update my Sharepoint environment but not sure if I'm going to break anything due to some of the RBS changes that is being made in SP1.

thanks,

Brent

22 REPLIES 22

soumende

Hi Brent,

SharePoint 2010 Sp1 has a lot of new features including shallow copy. SnapManager for SharePoint 6.0 testing with SharePoint 2010 SP1 is going on. Currently it’s not supported.

Thanks

Soumen

brobbins23

Is the an ETA on when it will be supported?

thanks.

soumende

Recently the Test were completed and it is supported with SharePoint 2010 SP1.

Regards

Soumen De

IngeHellebo

Hi,

Have you done thorough testing of RBS extending? I have some problems opening extended documents, at least for files over a few megabytes in size. When I retract the extender functionality from the site collection, everything seems to work OK.

I have also noted that the Interoperability Matrix Tool does not list 2010 SP1 as supported. I will continue testing, but would appreciate to know if anybody else is experiencing any issues with RBS in SP1.

Regards,

Inge

soumende

Hi Inge,

We are aware of issues with SnapManager for SharePoint 6.0 after upgrading to SharePoint 2010 Sp1

We are working to get the SharePoint 2010 Sp1 patch released and it will be updated in the IMT tool shortly.

Regards

Soumen De

Technical Marketing Engineer

brobbins23

Looks like I am getting the same issues with RBS files not opening after SP1 install...I have a PowerPoint file where when I click on it, the splash page for PowerPoint 2010 comes up stalls, file never opens.

Where is the IMT tool that will keep me up-to-date on support of SP1 for SMSP 6.0?

Thanks.

pascalduk

brobbins23 wrote:

Where is the IMT tool that will keep me up-to-date on support of SP1 for SMSP 6.0?

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/products/interoperability/

soumende

Hi Pascal,

This is a known issue. We are working to get the Patch published on the NOW site along with the IMT tool.

Regards

Soumen De

soumende

Hi Brent,

We are working with the Engineering team to get the patch updated on the NOW site and the IMT tool will be updated along with it by the end of this week tentatively.

Regards

Soumen De

pascalduk

In my environment I got the following error during the 1st backup attempt after the SP1 install:

Errors: Some error occurs in the backup raw property.Service application Name:User Profile Service Application 2 (APException: Cannot find method: Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.get_CurrentBDCMA()) , [ExceptionType:RawpropertyException]

Is this one of the known issues?

soumende

Hi,

Yes this is a known issue. You will get a patch for SnapManager for SharePoint 6.0 for SharePoint 2010 Sp1. This will be downloaded from the NOW site and the IMT will also be updated by the end of this week tentatively.

Regards

Soumen De

pascalduk

Thank you for the update.

pascalduk

Just to confirm. My error has been resolved by this patch

brobbins23

Soumende,

Is there a patch available concerning the RBS bug with Sharepoint SP1 and SMSP 6.0?  If so, where do I find it?

thanks.

soumende

Hi,

The SnapManager 6.0 for SharePoint Patch that support Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Service Pack 1 is now available on the NOW site. You can download the patch directly from http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/snapmanager_sharepoint/6.0P1/.

A few details to be aware of when installing this patch.

• The patch is not a self-extracting wizard installation which automatically updates the SMSP assemblies.

• When unzipped it just provides two Executables (EXE) and one Dynamic Link Library (DLL)

• SMSP2010PlatformControlRestore.exe

• SMSP2010PlatformDatabaseBackup

• SMSP2010PlatformMossUtility.dll

• You need to MANUALLY replace the above files in the SMSP installation location, Eg. “C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SharePoint\VaultClient\bin”

Please let me know if this patch is able to solve the issue that you are facing.

Regards

Soumen De

brobbins23

And I do this for all SMSP Agent installs or just for the Manager install?

pascalduk

I applied the patch for all servers that have an agent installed: APP, WFE, media servers, sql db servers. The management server does not have an agent installed.

brobbins23

Inge,

Do any files work over a few megs?  I have had any issue with a PowerPoint but all my PDFs and Word Docs are working fine.

thanks,

Brent

IngeHellebo

Brent,

Sorry for the late reply. I have just now tested Word (docx) and Powerpoint (pptx) files. I also installed the patch released yesterday, but that did not make any difference. As far as I can see, any docx/pptx documet that is extended through RBS, is impossible to open through Sharepoint. However, it can be downloaded locally, and then opened, but that is obviously no solution.

Trying to find out some more about this, I have located the extended file ({guid}.dat) and copied it to my computer, then renamed it to docx/pptx. This file is not possible to open either, or at least it needs repair. As you may know, docx/pptx are actually compressed (ZIP) files. Trying to unzip these locally copied files gives an error. I hope somebody at Netapp can investigate this further.

Regards,

Inge

soumende

Hi Inge,

We had performed the test in the environment after applying the patch and here is what we found

Test scenario:

- RBS Extender Policy set to >256KB

- Created new Folder in Shared Documents library

- Uploaded 37MB PPT via standard SharePoint 2010 web UI

- Checked vol\SMMOSS\data_extender folders to verify document has been remoted

- Opened up 37MB PPT that was just remoted and all works fine.

This test works without issue.

The below problem could be related to a detail specific to the environment. Could you open a support ticket with the NetApp Support team to look into the issue further?

Regards

Soumen De

Public