Data Backup and Recovery

SMSQL Scheduled job oddities

RAhlbrandt

I am running SMSQL 7.2.0.2184 on Windows 2012 R2 with SnapDrive 7.1.  The SQL Server is SQL Server 2012 SP2.  I am having a heck of a time getting scheduled backup jobs to run.

If I run the backup wizard via SMSQL and manually execute a backup, the backup works fine.  When I attempt to schedule the job I get the following behaviors.

1.  I enter the name of my job.  I want to run it as a SQL Server Agent Job.  My servername is in the dialog box.  When I click OK I get the error.

"An error occured while processing SQL Agent Job Creation.  An error occured while processing SQL Agent Jog creation. The specified @server_name("myserver.company.com") does not exist."

I click OK and browse to my server "myserver.company.com" then check the box Replace job if exists and click OK.  I then get the error

"An error occured while processing SQL Agent Job Creation.  An error occured while processing SQL Agent Jog creation. The specified @server_name("myserver.company.com") does not exist."

I then uncheck the 'Replace Job if it exists' box then get the error

"A job by name: BackupJob already exists in the server MYSERVER.COMPANY.COM"

Funny, it just told me twice that the server doesn't exist, but now the job already exists...

So in SQL Server Agent Jobs, the job exists and the command it is sending is this:

"C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SmsqlJobLauncher.exe" new-backup  –svr 'MYSERVER.COMPANY.COM' -ver  –verInst 'MYSERVER.COMPANY.COM' -mp –mpdir 'C:\Luns\SQL_SnapInfo\SMSQL_SnapInfo' -RetainBackupDays  7 -RetainShareBackups  7 -cpylgbkshare NOTHING_TOSHARE -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfoDays 7 -rudays 7 -updmir  –mgmt daily

If I tell SQL Agent to run the job, the job fails with the error:

Executed as user: COMPANY\administrator. The step did not generate any output.  Process Exit Code -1.  The step failed.

I have the following errors in event log

Event ID 304 - Error code 0xc0040803 - SnapInfo registry key is not set or it has invalid entities.  You may need to re-run Configuration Wizard (I have many times)

Event ID 0 - Log Name:      Application
Source:        SnapManager for SQL Job
Date:          3/6/2015 11:40:58 AM
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MYSERVER.COMPANY.com
Description:
Job : new-backup  –svr 'MYSERVER.COMPANY.com' -ver  –verInst 'MYSERVER.COMPANY.COM' -mp –mpdir 'C:\Luns\SQL_SnapInfo\SMSQL_SnapInfo' -RetainBackupDays  7 -RetainShareBackups  7 -cpylgbkshare NOTHING_TOSHARE -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfoDays 7 -rudays 7 -updmir  –mgmt daily
The operation executed with the following results.
Details: Failed to invoke the backup operation.
Stack Trace:    at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
   at System.Management.Automation.PipelineOps.InvokePipeline(Object input, Boolean ignoreInput, CommandParameterInternal[][] pipeElements, CommandBaseAst[] pipeElementAsts, CommandRedirection[][] commandRedirections, FunctionContext funcContext)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`6.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="SnapManager for SQL Job" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-06T20:40:58.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>20418</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>myserver.company.com</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Job : new-backup  –svr 'MYSERVER.COMPANY.COM'  -ver  –verInst 'MYSERVER.COMPANY.COM' -mp –mpdir 'C:\Luns\SQL_SnapInfo\SMSQL_SnapInfo' -RetainBackupDays  7 -RetainShareBackups  7 -cpylgbkshare NOTHING_TOSHARE -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfoDays 7 -rudays 7 -updmir  –mgmt daily
The operation executed with the following results.
Details: Failed to invoke the backup operation.
Stack Trace:    at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
   at System.Management.Automation.PipelineOps.InvokePipeline(Object input, Boolean ignoreInput, CommandParameterInternal[][] pipeElements, CommandBaseAst[] pipeElementAsts, CommandRedirection[][] commandRedirections, FunctionContext funcContext)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`6.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RAhlbrandt

Final update (if it really matters, but I'm on a roll)

I reran the backup wizard and this time I didn't specified the FQDN of my server, I just put in SERVERNAME instead of SERVERNAME.MYCOMPANY.COM and it worked as it should.

Odd behavior but things seem to work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RAhlbrandt

I believe I figured a workaround but now how it got this way.

In HKLM\Software\Network Appliance\SnapManager for SQL Server\Server

there were two keys,

One was labeled SQL_MYSERVER which had the keys InfoLogDirSIF and SnapInfoDir,

the other key was labeled SQL_MYSERVER.MYCOMPANY.COM and it was missing.

I still get the oddities with the server not being found when I attempt to schedule the job via SMSQL, but the job does get created and I can run the jobs on demand on via a schedule.

RAhlbrandt

Final update (if it really matters, but I'm on a roll)

I reran the backup wizard and this time I didn't specified the FQDN of my server, I just put in SERVERNAME instead of SERVERNAME.MYCOMPANY.COM and it worked as it should.

Odd behavior but things seem to work.

Public