Data Backup and Recovery

Snap Creator and SME/SMSQL

f_duranti

I saw that in Snap Creator config files there are configuration items for SMSQL and SME:

################################
### SnapManager SQL Settings ###
################################
##################################################################################################
# SMSQL_PS_CONF - Path to the powershell configuration file for SMSQL                            #
# SMSQL_BACKUP_OPTIONS - SMSQL backup options, Snap Creator uses a powershell new-backup cmdlet  #
# SMSQL_SERVER_NAME - SMSQL server name                                                          #
# SMSQL_32bit - (Y|N) Setting to enable use of 32bit version of powershell                       #
##################################################################################################
SMSQL_PS_CONF="C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\smsqlShell.psc1"
SMSQL_BACKUP_OPTIONS=-svr 'SQL'  -d  'SQL\SHAREPOINT', '1', 'WSS_Content' -RetainBackups  7 -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfo 8 -trlog  -gen -mgmt standard
SMSQL_SERVER_NAME=servername
SMSQL_32bit=N

#####################################
### SnapManager Exchange Settings ###
#####################################
# SMSQL_PS_CONF - Path to the powershell configuration file for SMSQL                            #
# SMSQL_BACKUP_OPTIONS - SMSQL backup options, Snap Creator uses a powershell new-backup cmdlet  #
# SME_SERVER_NAME - SME server name                                                              #
# SME_32bit - (Y|N) Setting to enable use of 32bit version of powershell                         #
SME_PS_CONF="C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\smeShell.psc1"
SME_BACKUP_OPTIONS=-Server 'EX2K10-DAG01' -GenericNaming -ManagementGroup 'Standard' -NoTruncateLogs $False -RetainBackups 8 -StorageGroup 'dag01_db01' -BackupCopyRemoteCCRNode $False
SME_SERVER_NAME=servername
SME_32bit=N

Does this means that It will be able to run SME/SMSQL ?

Should I have to configure the agent is some way?

Anyone used it to run SME/SMSQL or SMVI backup jobs?

Thanks

Francesco

3 REPLIES 3

ktenzer

In SC 3.3.0 there are community plugins for SME and SMSQL. These plugins are not supported by NGS and are only obtainable through NetApp PS. If you are interested contact your sales rep.

In SC 3.4.0 the SME and SMSQL plugins will be built-in and supported.

These plugins are for interfacing with SME and SMSQL, so Snap Creator can run those backups through powershell cmd calls. In addition SC can snapvault the snapshots since the PM integration isn't always possible we wanted to provide another option to doing things.

As for SMVI SC could certainly trigger backups for it too using CLI but there is no integration plugin

You can basically turn everything off in SC so that it simply runs remote CLI calls through it's agent, this would suffice for a single pane of glass scheduling for Snap Manager's. Some customers are certainly using it in this way.

Regards,

Keith

f_duranti

Thanks for the answer.

It seems ehere in Italy it's not so simple to be able to access those plugins, I'm waiting for information from our vendor about it..

It's possible that a beta of 3.4.0 will be available before the release or we've to wait for it?

I know that probably I'll not receive an answer because the product is not out yet but there's any other feature in 3.4.0 apart SME/SMSQL integration?

ktenzer

There is no beta being done that I know of for 3.4.0. It releases as mentioned end of June. There will be many features in 3.4.0 not just SME/SMSQL and we will announce them on community when they are all confirmed.

Regards,

Keith

Public