Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter plug-in for VMware vSphere installation fails on the SnapCenter Server

Chelydridae

Although the release notes of SnapCenter 3.0.1 state that it is possible from this version on to install the VMware vSphere plug-in on the SnapCenter server itself, I am not able to do so.

Prechecks are doing fine and end all green, but installation itself fails.

In the log could only one error be found: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Please, any idea or point to documentation or more detailled log what is wrong here?

thx

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

matte

Manual installa  is more "difficult" because you must manually open the link to register the Plug-in for VMware vSphere with vCenter after the
installation is completed

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\NetApp\SnapCenter\PackageRepository, copy the snapcenter_windows_host_plugin file , and then paste the file on
the local host where you want the Plug-in for VMware vSphere to be installed.

The SnapCenter Plug-ins Package for Windows includes the Plug-in for VMware vSphere.

From a Windows command prompt on the local host, navigate to the directory where you pasted the snapcenter_windows_host_plugin file.

starte the installation .exe file (ISFeatureInstall=SCV)

this can be a valid example

“snapcenter_windows_host_plugin.exe"/silent /debuglog"c:\VSC\Add_Plugin_SCV.log" /log"c:\VSC" SUITE_INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapCenter" BI_SCV_PORT=8144 ISFeatureInstall=SCV

After successful installation, register the Plug-in for VMware vSphere with vCenter by opening the https://<SCV IP>:8144/scbr/register.html link to access the registration page.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

matte

Hi

The error itlsef does not help to understand the reason of the failure.

Please try again and check in the %TEMP% folder if you have the insallation logs or check in the job monitor to see if yu can get something from there.

As far as i understoog the prereq checks are all ok but please dobule check if you have installed Microsoft Net 4.5.2 or later and you have turned on Windows message queuing.

\then wuth which user are you runing the installation? is this user local admin and domain admin?

Chelydridae

Hi matte

Thanks for your hints.

Hence the underlying server is a Windows 2016 .Net is installed in version 4.6; also the Message Queuing service is running - but during SnapCenter install there was a pop up, warning that there is an outstanding reboot (although I just reboote beforehand!) and that install of message queuing could fail - but it went away without intervention and installation finished without complains.

Going from job monitor to view logs revealed only the aformentioned line ...

my theory is at the moment:

because the first attempt of install the plugin failed, I tried to re-install by "modify" the host (that is: SnapCenter host).

In the summary I get the following then: 

2017-12-20 12_modHost.png

pay attention to "Plug-ins: none, Version: none" - maybe the wizard does not select anything to install ...

in contrast the picture when adding the host:

2017-12-20 12_addHost.png

Both, version and plugin are mentioned ...

Anyway - I removed the host and re-added it, filling out all the fields of the wizard.

Now the plug-in installation failes complaining about an "incorrect parameter" in the job details:

2017-12-20 12_jobDetails.png

But the log itself does not give a clue to me which parameter is wrong ...

... very frustrating ...

Markus

matte

Hi Markus

did the last job generate a job_log?

You are getting the error "parameter is incorrect" during the Connecting to system phase.. so (just thinking aloud.. 🙂 )

- error in checking some permission? - is the user domain admin..

- error in checknng the password? - does the user password contains some special char? is the OS with the locale settings in English?

another thing you can do is to install the plugin manually. i mean via command line avoinding the use of the snapcenter GUI

look at this https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2838332 pag 35

Do not use the installer GUI to install SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere on the SnapCenter Server host

Chelydridae

Hello,

thanks for the hint to the release notes - that could take me further ...

to your question:

- yes, the user is domain\Administrator

- OS locale is English, only special char is $

- in C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapCenter WebApp\App_Data\log is a log file for every job - actually the lines presented in the web-GUI (it seems ...)

So I give the CLI install a try according to p147 in the Install and Setup Guide: Installing plug-ins independently

Does it matter in which directory I install?

What is the parameter for the vSphere Plug-in (ISFeatureInstall=? [SCW-> SnapCenter for Windows, SCSQL -> SnapCenter for SQL])

Thank you for your help

Markus

matte

Manual installa  is more "difficult" because you must manually open the link to register the Plug-in for VMware vSphere with vCenter after the
installation is completed

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\NetApp\SnapCenter\PackageRepository, copy the snapcenter_windows_host_plugin file , and then paste the file on
the local host where you want the Plug-in for VMware vSphere to be installed.

The SnapCenter Plug-ins Package for Windows includes the Plug-in for VMware vSphere.

From a Windows command prompt on the local host, navigate to the directory where you pasted the snapcenter_windows_host_plugin file.

starte the installation .exe file (ISFeatureInstall=SCV)

this can be a valid example

“snapcenter_windows_host_plugin.exe"/silent /debuglog"c:\VSC\Add_Plugin_SCV.log" /log"c:\VSC" SUITE_INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapCenter" BI_SCV_PORT=8144 ISFeatureInstall=SCV

After successful installation, register the Plug-in for VMware vSphere with vCenter by opening the https://<SCV IP>:8144/scbr/register.html link to access the registration page.

Chelydridae

Manual install worked smothly - now I can proceed.

Thanks for your support.

Markus

PS: one could say "typically not reading the docs" - but how fair is it on the other hand to proclaim "NOW it is possible to have SVC on the SnapCenter Server! Hurrayh!" and in the fine-print "... but not the default way by means of the Web-GUI"?

Public