Data Backup and Recovery

SnapDrive 6.1 Install Error

scotte1976

Hi,

I am trying to install SnapDrive on a Windows 2003 Enterprise R2 x86 Server and the following error appears whilst starting the install wizard

InstallShield DLL Custom Action

"File'C:\DOCUME~1\'profile name~1\LOCALS~1\TempSWSetupHelper.dll can not be found. Make sure the file is on target system or installed already"

I am running the software from a locally attached disk. I have copied the software from various soruces in case of corruption.

I have deleted my profile

I have tried running as a local admin

I cannot resolve this issue.

The only other possible solution was to patch the server to the lastest MS patches but this is a last resort as it's a production machine.

Anyone come accross this before ?

Thanks

Scott

7 REPLIES 7

misra

Hi Scott,

Looks like the registry entry is not cleanedup properly during your last uninstall.

So delete the registry entry and try to do a clean installation.

This should help you in resolving the issue.

durjay

Hi Scott,

Please try the following.

1. Remove it if you are trying to upgrade an existing SnapDrive installation. Install the new package.

2. Clean the temp and SnapDrive installation directory.

2. If it is a Virtual machine.Remove the stale registry entries from "Regedit". Search for "VirtualizationAPI" and remove all occurences of this string from registry. Uninstall the "VirtualizationAPi" instances from "C:\WINDOWS\assembly" directory.

Thanks

-Durjay

scotte1976

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

However, these procedures are not applicable.

The software has never been installed so there is no stale/corrupt files/reg keys to remove.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Scott

beaupre

Scott,

My guess is that you are running into some security issue with regards to the installation.

Does the customer have a security template or

Installshield is trying to write some temporary files/registry keys and it is not able to do so.

I would suggest using something like filemon or regmon from to see where you are getting an access is denied when you run the installation package.

Thanks,
Mark

beaupre

I hit post a little too quick. You should check for any GPOs that would restrict software installation as well.

Thanks,
Mark

scotte1976

Hi Mark,

Do you think it's an Access Denied issue, as the error message does not stipulate such a cause ?

Scott

beaupre

Scott,

Sometimes, you won't see an explicit "Access is Denied" error on an install. This is not a specific SnapDrive error, but how InstallShield is handling the error.

If InstallShield is looking for a file that is not there, it could be that it could not write the file it is looking for.

You might want to see if InstallShield is creating an installation log as well. I believe that the file is called SDInstall.log.

Thanks,
Mark

Public