Data Backup and Recovery

SnapDrive Configuration

johnhuber

The question is given the following configuration and information do I need to install Windows Host Utilities. Here is the configuration: 2\ea -  Virutual Exchange Server 2010 sitting on top of Server 2008 R2. Members of a 2 member DAG - 1/production and 1/DR Site.  All the disks containg the databases and logs are all ISCSI connected.  Each server has 8 LUNs, 4 for databases and 4 for log files.  Each LUN Is connected via ISCSI. We are using Microsoft's ISCSI initiator. The virtual servers are hosted on a NetApp FAS3250 in 7-mode HA and the LUNs are on the same HA group of filers. Both servers are configered the same except for the Window host utilites. 

The Host Utilities were installed on the production server which was built about 9 month prior to the DAG installation.  The install of the utilities on the production box does not even appear to be a complete install.   None of the commands to give you any ISCSI information does not work, there are just a bunch of old DOS command when you type HELP.   The DR side of the DAG does not have the host utilities  installed at all.  Both have been working fine.

I am getting ready to upgrade Snapdrive and Snapmanager for Exchange and Window Host Utilites is listed as a prerequisit. 

Do I really require the host utilites and am I losing anything by not having them installed. 

1 REPLY 1

Jeff_Yao

in general, Host Utilities include an installation program that sets the required Windows registry and HBA values.

like below is the host utilities 7.0 release note:

Windows Unified Host Utilities 7.0 includes support for E-Series and FlashRay storage systems, support for clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 or later versions, and enhanced iSCSI timeouts for faster failover.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1656702/html/frameset.html

it shows you some known issues and limitations. check if there's any issue in your environment

Public