Subscribe

SnapDrive Failing to Mount Snapshots

[ Edited ]
We have recently had a new NetApp installation provisioned and configured. All seemed ok, with the exception that we are unable to perform DBCC verification on any of our SQL servers. They both snapshot and snapmirror ok.

The error we are facing is as follows:

"Failed to mount backup 'snapshot name'. Reasons Failed to mount disk (Disk ID0 in Backup (ID). Server Error: FLOW-11019: Failure in AssignNewUuidToAttachedVmdk: Index: 0, Size: 0."

We have tried to manually mount the snapshots but they fail for the same reason.

We are working with NetApp already on this but they don't know what the solution is of yet, it's been escalated to engineering.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: SnapDrive Failing to Mount Snapshots

Hello Yoda_Force,

Some more information would be helpful.  Are your SQL servers virtualized?  Are you using RDMs or VMDKs?  Which protocol are you using? NFS/iSCSI/FC? Are you trying to perform DBCC on the same SQL server that owns the database? or another SQL server?  Are you trying to mount from the primary array or the SnapMirror destination?  Is this 7-mode or cDOT?  Do you have FlexClone licenses?

What versions of the following software is being used?

VSC

SnapDrive

SMSQL

MS SQL

Windows

ESXi

ONTAP

Sorry to ask so many questions, but many problems are related to interoperability and without knowing more details about your environment it is difficult to know where to begin with troubleshooting.

Thank you,

Sean Luce

Open Systems Technologies

#NetAppATeam

@seanluce

>> We are working with NetApp already on this but they don't know what the solution is of yet, it's been escalated to engineering

in that case please hold on to that and we will surely find a solution for you asap.

which case# is this about?

thanks,

Domenico.

Hi Sean,

We are using NFS with VMDK's for our SQL environment. We are performing DBCC verification on each respective SQL server (they server and handle their own DB's). It doesn't matter whether we mount from they primary or SnapMirror destination, same results.

VSC - 4.2.2

SnapDrive - 7.2

SQL - 2008 R2

Windows - Server 2008 R2

ESXi - 5.5

ONTAP - 8.3

While I am letting NetApp support carry on with this, I thought it would be a good idea to see if anybody on here could help. There is nothing special about our environment.

It is worth mentioning though, I created a new VM running the same environment as above and all works fine, we know this is something to do with our existing VMs. They were upgraded from hardware version 7 to 10 as part of the NetApp installation process.

Dale.

Hi,

Do you have data aggregates assigned to your data SVMs?
vserver show -vserver <svm-name> -fields aggr-list

Br,
Ismo

I have the same problem, and I also have a case open with netapp support, but no solution yet.

My setup is:

Win 2008R2

SQL 2012SP1

SD 7.1.1

SMSQL 7.2

VSC 6.0

vCenter 6.0

cDot 8.3GA

Disks mounted via VMDK in FC mounted Datastores.

This is a new installation, and we can do backups with SMSQL just fine, but we found the problem when trying to do a verify, which involves a mount of the snapshot... and this failes just as described in this case.

I think it's worth mentionening that we have other servers where this works just fine...

We are now focusing on SnapDrive as we can reproduce the problem here just by trying to mount a snapshot of a disk.

The SMSQL backups are running fine, just with no verify enabled.

And oh yeah.. I guess we cannot restore anything, should we need to :-)  Yet I think we can handle it in other more manual ways if we needed to...

I have written a PM to Yoda_Force in order to try to link our two cases up...

/Heino

Hi

Just to verify... I didn't have any aggr assigned to my VSM, so I added them like this:

nsc02::> vserver show -vserver nsc02fc -fields aggr-list
vserver aggr-list
------- ---------
nsc02fc -

nsc02::> vserver modify -vserver nsc02fc -aggr-list nlsas_nsc02_a,nlsas_nsc02_b

nsc02::> vserver show -vserver nsc02fc -fields aggr-list
vserver aggr-list
------- ---------------------------
nsc02fc nlsas_nsc02_a,nlsas_nsc02_b

Sadly it makes no difference... :-(

/Heino

are you also not posting the case#?

with case number, I can try to take a look at the logs and where the case is....

Domenico.

Just a little update..

I can verify that I am able to clone both the volume, and the LUN from SysManager.

I cannot mount the clone directly from snapdrive, as it tries to mount it via iSCSI.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am 99% sure that I would be able to mount the cloned datastore inside vCenter and attach the disk to the VM...

/Heino

Of cause.. my casenumer is: 2005650842

But we haven't gotten that far yet as I expect the supporter to be more SMSQL focused as I created the case as a SnapManager failing to verify...  I have suggested that the case be escalated to some SnapDrive guys instead..

/Heino