Subscribe
Accepted Solution

SnapManager SQL Job Scheduled with SQL Agent fails on cluster

Hi all,

I've just installed SnapManager SQL 5.2 on Windows 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 SP1 running in 2 node "active/active" cluster (one instance per node under normal operation)

It all works fine, I can do backups, remote verifications no problem.  However, whenever I try to schedule a job using a SQL Agent job, it fails.  I've used earlier versions of SnapManager with 2003 clusters and don't recall ever having this problem.  Either way, the error is as follows:

Details: new-backup cmdlet will exit as it is not running in the Active node: SRV-SQL-01. The current node: CLS-SQL-01. SQL Server: CLS-SQL-01\VSPHERE. SQL Instance: CLS-SQL-01\VSPHERE

SRV-SQL-01 is the physical node.  CLS-SQL-01 is the clustered instance.

The backup command is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SmsqlJobLauncher.exe" new-backup  –svr 'CLS-SQL-01\VSPHERE'  -ClusterAware -ver  –verInst SQL-VER-01' -mp –mpdir 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SnapMgrMountPoint' -RetainBackupDays  5 -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfoDays 5 -rudays 5 –mgmt standard

If I run this manually from a command prompt on the physical host SRV-SQL-01, it works.  When SQL Agent launches it, it fails with the error above.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: SnapManager SQL Job Scheduled with SQL Agent fails on cluster

Update - I have configured scheduled tasks instead which means the backups run but I would still like to know why the SQL agent jobs don't!

is this one that your team handles or should the question be asked in the NetApp Support Community?

I've forwarded this to the SQL folks.

This has been stated in SMSQL 5.2 manual on page 71 as follows: "

In earlier versions of SnapManager, the jobs that are scheduled to run against a

server are not required to reside in the same server. In SnapManager 5.2, the jobs

that are targeted to run against a server need to be scheduled in that particular

server's scheduler."

Hi,

I get the same error on my new cluster  (SQL2008R2 SP1). I am not trying to upgrade any job, just creating a new one.

I am able to perform a back up from within SMSQL or if I just paste the command in command prompt but it fails if it runs under SQL Agent.

Henryk

You should be able to create a job from SMSQL 5.2 and have it create a job and schedule the job afterward.

Hi Spat,

That's what I am doing. The only difference I have just noticed is that my physical node name is not the same as SQL node.

This is what I get:

Details: new-backup cmdlet will exit as it is not running in the Active node: Server1. The current node: Node1. SQL Server: Node1\Node1. SQL Instance: Node1\Node1

Would this make any difference?

Thanks,

Henryk

That is the situation with SMSQL 5.2.  If you go back to the earlier post in this thread, you will see that SMSQL 5.2 have to run on the active node.  This is not an issue with the previous version.

So, does this mean that if I want to retain that functionality I will have to downgrade SMSQL?

What version of SMSQL supports this?