Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager SQL won't Move Database to iSCSI LUNs

Norm

Good day.  I am trying to run the SMSQL configuration wizzard as I've done dozens of times before.  During the database/log mapping phase I'm getting the attached error stating;

"Unable to move the selected databases to LUN/Share C:\SMSQLMnPT\vmum_logs\:.  Ensure that SnapManager for SQL Server is licensed on the storage system "infra", or that the SnapManager per-server license is licensed on "IWIC-VMSQL01"."

I have verifided at the cluster and all it's nodes have the "SnapManagerSuite" license installed and that SnapDrive for Windows isn't recieving any error when mounting these LUNs via iSCSI.  At this point I'm looking for suggesting on what could be the issue.

cDOT Version: 8.2.2P2

SnapDrive Version: 7.1

SMSQL Version: 7.2 (also have been recieving same error on 7.1)

Windows: Server 2012 R2 Standard

ESXi Host: 5.5 U2 (build 2302651)

I'm open to any thoughts or ideas on this issue.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Norm

The solution was to make my SVM (storage virtual machine) name match the DNS record for the SVM management IP address.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

dmauro

the problem you are seeing is that SnapManager's license is not found on either the stroage system(s) hosting some of the databases on that server or the server based license is not found on the SMSQL server and/or the SMSQL designed verification server. It makes sense that in such case all  snapdrive operation are fine, because it is the SMSQL license the erorr is talking about.

When you mentioned cluster, did you mean the windows cluster or the Storage system cluster? It isn't clear to me whether you have server based or storage based license.Server based license is installed on SMSQL server and (if you have a remote or verification server) on the respective remote/verification server.Storage based is installed on all storage sytems who are hosting lun's or shares which will be in use by SQL server. You can't have a mix of both storage bqased and server based as that causes issues.

finally, if all licenses are correctly installed, yoy may experience a configuration issue, as SMSQL checks its storage based license through SnapDrive, so if SnapDrive cannot communicate with one of the Storage Systems hosting lun's or shares.

hope that gies youa hint, else, please log a support case.

cheers,

Domenico

Norm

Domenico,

Thank you for the reply.  So to clear up your questions I was speaking of storage based cluster.  I am also using storage based license for SnapDrive and Snapmanager as you can see below they have been installed on each node in the cluster.  I also verified SMSQL is not configured for server side licensing so it should be reading from the cluster. 

iwic-naclus01::> license show
  (system license show)

Serial Number: 1-80-000011
Owner: iwic-naclus01
Package           Type    Description           Expiration
----------------- ------- --------------------- --------------------
Base              site    Cluster Base License  -

Serial Number: 1-81-0000000000000700002003301
Owner: iwic-naclus01-01
NFS               license NFS License           -
CIFS              license CIFS License          -
iSCSI             license iSCSI License         -
FCP               license FCP License           -
SnapRestore       license SnapRestore License   -
SnapMirror        license SnapMirror License    -
FlexClone         license FlexClone License     -
SnapVault         license SnapVault License     -
SnapManagerSuite  license SnapManagerSuite License -
V_StorageAttach   license Virtual Attached Storage License -

Serial Number: 1-81-0000000000000700002003313
Owner: iwic-naclus01-02
NFS               license NFS License           -
CIFS              license CIFS License          -
iSCSI             license iSCSI License         -
FCP               license FCP License           -
SnapRestore       license SnapRestore License   -
SnapMirror        license SnapMirror License    -
FlexClone         license FlexClone License     -
SnapVault         license SnapVault License     -
SnapManagerSuite  license SnapManagerSuite License -
V_StorageAttach   license Virtual Attached Storage License -
21 entries were displayed.

SnapDrive is able to see all the controllers within the storage cluster however I'm still getting the error.  I would love to hope a case but because of budget reasons this system only has hardware support and not software support.  This is why I was going to get a little help from the community.  It appears to be that this is a BURT but I have no way of actually confirming that at this point and time.

dmauro

I am not aware of any bug with this behavior.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a node-locked SnapManagerSuite license (or FlexClone license) and you installed one of them on the wrong node.

cheers,

Domenico

promise

Hi Norm,

Have you managed to resolve this issue. I am having the same challenge and can't find any help.

Norm

I'm currently working with the support center on it.  I believe they are going to have me increace a timeout value but I haven't recieved offical word yet.  Once we find the problem I'll post the solution to this thread.

dmauro

Hi Norm,

if you want, you can share the case number, so I will take a look too.

Domenico

Norm

Sure it's case 2005477540.  I'll still plan to post the final solution on this thread so it's avaiable to the larger community for future reference.

chadmaupin

I'm having this same issue.  Have you found a solution yet?

Norm

The solution was to make my SVM (storage virtual machine) name match the DNS record for the SVM management IP address.

promise

Great, worked for me. thanks Norm

Public