Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for Exchange - Snapmirror or SnapVault. can't have both?

BenQ

Hi All,

Briefly my environment:

> Exchange 2010 SP3 RU2, DAG

> ONTAP 8.3

> SnapDrive 7.1

> SnapManager for Exchange 7.1

> 2 Offices with a FAS2552 in both offices, SnapMirror relationship from source volumes at one site to the remote site.  additionally a Storage Shelf attached to the FAS2552 at one office, to which we configured SnapVault relationship for both offices

My issues is this:

For compliance reasons, I need to archive our Exchange data for 7years.   

I was told by an netapp Engineer who was workign on my case that SnapManager can only be setup with a SnapMirror destination OR a SnapVault destination, not both.  

If both cant be configured with SME, how do I manage an effective DR in case of site loss ie SnapMirror, whilst still maintaining the retention required through SnapVault

My only workable solution at present is to give priority to the Compiance requirement and configure SME with Snapvault.  This gives me a snapshot schedule of max 182 over 7 years (1st & 15th of every month.  Thus my DR solution is limited to the source volume snapshots and these bi-monthly SnapVault copies

However, one big problem in relation to retention is that SME only gives me the option for Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Unlimited.  There is no custom period (as far as i can see).  likely "unlimited" would be most appropriate for my 7-yr compliance requirements, however is there a way to truncate/delete snapvault snapshots after those 7 years? I dont want to be in a position in 7yrs time when i have to manually use Cli or System manager to delete Snapshots manually

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ben

15 REPLIES 15
Public