Data Backup and Recovery

SnapProtect on cDOT - thin provisioned Vault/Mirror destinations?

dankirkwood

Hi Guys

I'm using SnapProtect 10SP6 to protect NAS and VM data with Clustered ONTAP 8.2.1P1.

I'm finding that all of my Vault and Mirror destination volumes end up as thick-provisioned volumes (space reservation: volume) even if the source volumes are thin-provisionied.

Is it possible to get SnapProtect / Unified Manager to create the destination DP volumes thin-provisioned?

5 REPLIES 5

jcbettinelli

@dankirkwood wrote:

Hi Guys

I'm using SnapProtect 10SP6 to protect NAS and VM data with Clustered ONTAP 8.2.1P1.

I'm finding that all of my Vault and Mirror destination volumes end up as thick-provisioned volumes (space reservation: volume) even if the source volumes are thin-provisionied.

Is it possible to get SnapProtect / Unified Manager to create the destination DP volumes thin-provisioned?

It would be nice to have an answer on this topic, because this is a major issue.

Bektas_Denmark

We have the same issue an I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation.

I can't figure out what application is creating / provsioning the volumes. The volume names are definately created by SnapProtect.

You set up the provisioning pools in OCUM but there are no volume provisioning policies in here.

The workflow in WFA called "Create SnapVault" seems to use thick provisioning as well. Dunno if SnapProtect calls this workflow. In this case you can edit this workflow to create thin provisioned volumes.

jcbettinelli

@Bektas_Denmark wrote:

We have the same issue an I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation.

I can't figure out what application is creating / provsioning the volumes. The volume names are definately created by SnapProtect.

You set up the provisioning pools in OCUM but there are no volume provisioning policies in here.

The workflow in WFA called "Create SnapVault" seems to use thick provisioning as well. Dunno if SnapProtect calls this workflow. In this case you can edit this workflow to create thin provisioned volumes.

Hello Bektas,

SnapProtect doesn't require WFA to work, so, it won't use any of the existing workflow in there.

Regards.

Jean-Christophe

dankirkwood

@Bektas_Denmark wrote:

As mentioned by @jcbettinelli, the volumes are created by OCUM on behalf of SnapProtect, but there are no user-visible provisioning policies within OCUM 6.x that you can manipulate.

I have since been told by NetApp engineers that it is safe to manually change the volumes to thin provisioned from the ONTAP command-line. The syntax would be:

volume modify -vserver <vserver name> -volume SP_* -space-guarantee none

There is a Request-For-Enhancement (RFE) logged for a way to do this through SnapProtect or OCUM.

_Richard_

I just ran into this issue and was wondering if you know if this issue is solved already in SnapProtect or OnCommand UM?

The command volume modify -vserver <vserver name> -volume SP_* -space-guarantee none  works, but there are many admins in our company and would be great if this can be set so the application creates a thin provisioned volume by default.

Public