2013-05-28 03:17 AM
I am setting up a new two node windows 2008 R2 cluster, and our backend storage is netapp. Also will install snapdrive on both nodes. But is there any documentation on best practices on using snapdrive in setting up the windows cluster, such as using it to setup the luns,initiator groups etcs. Such is it best to setup the luns and igroups via snapdrive or on the filer instead, and do we add the luns via snapdrive on both nodes.
2013-05-29 05:44 AM
- I would recommend you to install DSM-MPIO also. Since Version 3.5 you dont need anymore the Host Utilities, because DSM MPIO set the recommended Values:
New features in this Host Utilities release
Windows Host Utilities 6.0 includes several new features and support for additional configurations.
Host Utilities 6.0 includes the following changes from 5.3:
• The Host Utilities are no longer required if the Windows host is running the Data ONTAP DSM
3.5 for Windows MPIO or later.
- Best Practise --> http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-4001.pdf
- Snapdrive Dokus --> http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/snapdrive_win/6.4.2/
- I recommend to setup the iscsi sessions/LUNs within snapdrive. The Volumes and the Qtrees you have to create on the Filer (System Manager/CLI).
- When you add a shared LUN in a Cluster, snapdrive connect the Disk on both node and create the Cluster Ressource group also (Or add a Disk to a existing Cluster Ressource Group. Only the iscsi Sessions you have
to establish on both nodes as First Step.