Data Backup and Recovery

VSC 6.2.1P1D5 Backup Error

Nornir

Hi, everyone

In my evironment, I installed VSC 6.2.1 in vCenter and created Backup Job on a per data store basis and run.
But,Backup Job was Suddenly failed,and displayed popup

At least one datastore must be backed up. Either explicitly or implicitly through backing up a virtual machine

I confirmed 'server.log'.It was outputted below.

Virtual machine 'ServerName' is currently migrating and will not be backed up

I read the sentence described in the URL below and confirmed that the virtual server whose status is
migrating will be skipped by VSC.

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1002291

There was only one virtual machine in this data store. As a result, if one is going to be skipped while migrating,
it seems that there was no server in the data store and an error occurred.

But, this server was not in migrating during backup.

And Similar symptoms (migrating and will not be backed up) also occurred in virtual machines
in other data stores.
The virtual machine was shutting down that did not perform any migration operation.

As a remedy for this problem, we confirm that if we do the operation below, we will make improvements.
1.Perform inventory removal and re-registration of virtual machines from vCenter
2.Retrieve one backup from the VSC only on the server where the problem occurred

If anyone knows, please let me know
1.Why did this problem occur?
2.Is there any other way than the remedial measure I wrote?

The environment is as follows.
・ONTAP 9.1
・vSphere 6.5 update 1
・VSC 6.2.1P1D5

Thanks
Nornir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestGateparkiwgp

As design of VSC, VSC cannot know that VM migration status even though the VM migration has completed.
Thus VSC check the status of VM migration to vCenter depends on interval of 'vmware.query.events.time.span.hours' value.
That default value is 24, that means VSC will check status per 24hours.

You can change the vaule in“smvi.override” file is in the VSC installation path (by default is c:\Program Files\Netapp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\etc) to 24 to 1, this means VSC will check the status per 1hour.

vmware.query.events.time.span.hours=1

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

WestGateparkiwgp

As design of VSC, VSC cannot know that VM migration status even though the VM migration has completed.
Thus VSC check the status of VM migration to vCenter depends on interval of 'vmware.query.events.time.span.hours' value.
That default value is 24, that means VSC will check status per 24hours.

You can change the vaule in“smvi.override” file is in the VSC installation path (by default is c:\Program Files\Netapp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\etc) to 24 to 1, this means VSC will check the status per 1hour.

vmware.query.events.time.span.hours=1

Public