Data Backup and Recovery

What i need to install for be able to Backup and Restore?

PAVLENYCH

Hello all!

I've read a lot of documentation about Snap Manager for SharePoint 2010, but still didn't get what i need to install to be able to Backup and Restore.

Actually i have following structure of SharePoint 2010: 1 x Application Server (Index, Search and all other shared services). 2 x WFE. 2 x SQL Servers in WIndows Cluster (Active/Passive). SQL servers are connected to Netapp storage where are located all DB's.

What exactly components of Snap Manager for SharePoint and on which servers i need to install to be able to Backup and Restore it?

Thanks a lot!

17 REPLIES 17

beaupre

Alex,

Page 18 of the SnapManager for SharePoint 6.1 Installation and Administration Guide lists where you should install the components:

SnapManager for SharePoint Manager can be installed on any machine on the network meeting the requirements described in “Windows Host System Requirements” on page 4. The machine it is installed on serves as the interface to access the SnapManager for SharePoint application from other machines. You can install this application on one of the SharePoint farm servers. For medium to large size farms, it is recommended to use a dedicated host or VM.

SnapManager for SharePoint Media Server can be the same server that has the SnapManager for SharePoint Manager installed. The SMSP Media Server performs the management of backup index data and SMSP Archiver data. In really large farms where SMSP Archiver is deployed, you can have additional media servers deployed.

There are four types of agents in SnapManager for SharePoint Agent, which can be deployed separately or on the same server depending on the needs of the environment:

Control Agent:

Used to coordinate the backup process. It should only be installed on the SharePoint server that hosts the Central Administration role.

Member Agent:

Does the actual backup of related SharePoint data. It should be installed on all the servers in the SharePoint farm that contain data to be backed up. For example: the Microsoft SQL Server (for database backups), the SharePoint index server (for search index backups), and the SharePoint web front-end server (for web front-end resource backups such as IIS backups).

Archiver Agent:

This should be installed on all web front-end servers and the Central Administration server in this farm.

Extender Agent:

This should be installed on all web front-end servers and the Central Administration server in this farm.

The agents are the same installation package, you configure the agent role via the agent configuration UI.

The SharePoint databases are backed up via SnapManager for SQL which SMSP calls during the backup. Your SQL server must be configured to have the databases on NetApp LUNs in the correct layout for valid SnapManager for SQL backups to be created. The SMSP Member agent on the SQL server passes backup and restore cmdlets to SMSQL for backup and restore.

The SharePoint Search Index data is located on a NetApp LUN connected to the SharePoint Search server. The SMSP Member agent on the SharePoint search server passes backup and restore commands to SnapDrive for backup and restore of the Search Index data.

The SMSP member agent also backs up SharePoint components installed on SharePoint Web Front End servers. Pages 138-141 of the SMSP IAG contains the list of components in a SharePoint farm that SMSP can backup.

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH

Mark

First of all thanks a lot for your guickly respond.

Second of all that you've written me exactly what made me confused. I can't understand why i need: Control Agent, Member Agent, Archiver Agent and Extender Agent? I can understand from explanation what is it, but how to know whether i really need them to be installed if i only want to Backup and Restore SharePoint 2010 Farm?

Thanks a lot!

beaupre

Alex,

You will need a Control Agent and Member agents installed on each server in the SharePoint farm to perform backup and recovery per the descriptions in my previous post.

If you are planning to use Remote Blob Storage with SharePoint, then you will need either Extender or Archiver, or both.

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH
mark beaupre

Do i need to install Control Agent on all SharePoint servers or only on server that hosts Central Administration?

Can you please provide me a link to download "SnapManager for SharePoint 6.1 Installation and Administration Guide"?

Thanks a lot!

beaupre

Yes.

The SMSP 6.1 documentation is on the NetApp Support Site.

http://support.netapp.com/documentation/docweb/index.html?productID=61112

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH

Hello!

I'm now reading the Installation Guide and see several thing that are not so clear for me.

1. What is "Snapmanager for Microsoft SQL Server"? Where can i get it?

2. What is "Snapdrive and Data ONTAP? Where i get them?

3. What are these "SQL Member Agent", "Index Member Agent" and "Front-End Member Agent"? Where can i get them?

Thanks a lot

beaupre

Alex,

SnapManager for SQL Server is a NetApp application that is installed on the SharePoint SQL database server that creates consistent SQL server backups using NetApp snapshots.

SnapDrive is a NetApp application that is installed on Windows hosts that are connected to NetApp LUNs. The SnapDrive application integrates with Windows storage APIs and NetApp storage APIs to perform LUN management. SnapDrive also has a VSS Hardware provider that integrates Windows VSS APIs with NetApp SnapShots.

Data ONTAP is a storage operating system that is installed on NetApp storage systems. When you purchase a NetApp storage system, Data ONTAP is installed on the storage system. Upgrades to Data ONTAP are available via the NetApp support website. http://support.netapp.com.

SnapManager for SharePoint (Manager and Agents), SnapManager for SQL, and SnapDrive applications only with NetApp storage systems. The software can be downloaded from the NetApp support website.

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH

Mark

First of all thanks a lot for your quickly responds!

The second thing - i'm so confused now and so don't know what to install, that it makes me a little bit creazy:-)

Mark i will ask honestly: i have in my farm following: 1 x Central Administration Server. 2 x Web Frontend Servers. 2 x SQL servers in Microsoft Cluster that are connected to Netapp Storage. All our DB's are located on Netapp.

We would like to start using Snap Manager for SharePoint to be able to Backup and Restore.

What applications from above and on these servers/storage we need to intstall?

Before i've came this forum i was sure that the only that i need to install are SnapManager for SharePoint (Manager and Agents).

Thanks a lot!

PAVLENYCH

Mark

More specific question:

1. Are "SQL Member Agent", "Index Member Agent" and "Front-End Member Agent" included in SMSP Agent package? Or each one it's independent installation package?

2. Are "SMSP Control Agent" and "SMSP Member Agent" included in SMSP Agent package? Or each one it's independent installation package?

Thanks s lot!

beaupre

Alex,

I suggest that you read the NetApp Technical Report, TR-3887, SnapManager 6.1 for SharePoint best practices TR. It is a lot easier to digest than the SMSP documentation. You can download the document here, http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3887.pdf.

Below is a diagram showing how the various components are integrated to protect your SharePoint farm.

PAVLENYCH

Mark

Thanks again. I've seen a lot this diagram, but it's not so clear for me. I also have read the document you suggested me. I pretty understand now where and what component to install.

Can you please answer me following questions:

1. Are "SQL Member Agent", "Index Member Agent" and "Front-End Member Agent" included in SMSP Agent package? Or each one it's independent installation package?

2. Are "SMSP Control Agent" and "SMSP Member Agent" included in SMSP Agent package? Or each one it's independent installation package?

Thanks a lot!

beaupre

Alex,

The Member Agent and the Control Agents are the same installation package. It is just a configuration option on the Agent.

The terms "SQL Member Agent", "Index Member Agent" and "Front End Member Agent" are indicative of which servers where you install the member agent.

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH

Mark

The Member Agent and the Control Agents are the same installation package. It is just a configuration option on the Agent. So it's a part of SMSP Agent installation package?

The terms "SQL Member Agent", "Index Member Agent" and "Front End Member Agent" are indicative of which servers where you install the member agent. If they all indicative of which servers Member Agent is installed, so how exactly i can install, only Member Agent without Control Agent if both are included in one installation package? Do you have maybe any video or Installation Guide (Step by step) of how to install/confgure these agents?

Thanks a lot!

beaupre

Alex,

The installation procedure for the SMSP 6.1 agent is described on pages 25-26 on the SMSP 6.1 Installationa and Administration Guide. I believe that you have this document already. If you don't, you can download it from the NetApp support site.

The installation wizard is pretty simple to run. After the installation, the SMSP Agent will display the configuration dialog to set the SnapManager Management server, the network ports, and the SMSP service account. The agent type can be set in this dialog as well by checking the checkbox next to the agent name (Member or Control).

Installing an agent does not require an IIS reset or a restart of the WFE. Enabling the RBS Provider will require an IIS reset.

If you need to change the configuration of the Agent after installation, you can run the SMSP Agent Configuration Tool from the All Programs > NetApp > SnapManager for SharePoint program group in the start menu.

There is no video of the installation of the SMSP Agents available. Please review the documentation and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH

Mark

Thanks a lot again!!!

I little question and i think already have all information i need for starting the installation. If i need to install Member Agent on 3 Servers so i need to install SMSP Agent three times: on each of 3 servers and after the installation is done just to mark the checkbox of Manager Agent?

beaupre

Alex,

You will install the SMSP Agent on each server in your farm.

When you install the Agent on the SQL cluster nodes, you only have the option of installing the agent as a Member Agent.

When you install the Agent on the server that is running SharePoint Central Administration select the Control Agent and Member Agent checkboxes.

When you install the Agent on all other servers, select the Member Agent checkbox.

The SMSP Management server application can be installed on any server in the farm or you can stand up a separate server to install this application.

Thanks,
Mark

PAVLENYCH

Mark

Thanks a lot for you quickly, generous help!

Public