Data Backup and Recovery

snapmirror SVM DR failed

chi

Hi,

We have Ontap 8.3.2.

I created a vserver to test the SVM DR in our cluster. It's successful. But when I try to snapmirror our production vserver to a SVM DR vserver,  its failed to initialize the SVM DR snapmirror relatioinship.

The production vserver has a volume 1.9TB.

The error message was : 

Last Transfer Error: Failed to apply the source Vserver configuration. Reason: Apply failed for Object: hosts_byname Method: baseline. Reason: The IPV4 address specified with "-address" is not supported because it is one of the following:
multicast, loopback or 0.0.0.0.

The SVM DR vserver contains only the volumes and nis services from source vserver but no dns service and no cifs protocol.

Any ideals?

Thanks,

Chi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chi

Hi Sahana,

Yes, those loopback IPs caused the SVM DR snapmirror failure. 

So I have questions about the dns hosts file, if you think it is irrevalent to this SVM DR topic, then I will either post to another topic or open a case with NetApp support.

1. The host files entries sometime are necessery at the Unix but How critical is the host file entries for the C-DOT vserver? 

2.  All our vservers host file contain this loopback IPs. Maybe during the 7-mode transition we added them to the host file but I am not sure about this. Anyway, if I delete the 127.0.0.1 IP from the       host file, how this will affect the NFS access?

3. is there any workaround without update the host file entries?

Thanks,

Chi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sahana

Hi,

Please try removing loopback entries from the hosts files

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

chi

Hi Sahana,

This the vserver svm1 host file table. Are those 127.x.x.x  loopback entries?

cluster::> dns hosts show -vserver svm1
Vserver Address Hostname Aliases
---------- -------------- --------------- ----------------------
svm1 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost-stack
svm1 127.0.10.1 localhost-10 localhost-bsd
svm1 127.0.20.1 localhost-20 localhost-sk
svm1 x.x.x.218 svm1-e0a-280 -
svm1 x.x.x.108 nismaster -
svm1 x.x.x.112 svm1 svm1-e0a
svm1 x.x.x.x svm1-e0a-4038 -

Thanks,

Chi

Sahana

Yes, they are.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

chi

Hi Sahana,

Yes, those loopback IPs caused the SVM DR snapmirror failure. 

So I have questions about the dns hosts file, if you think it is irrevalent to this SVM DR topic, then I will either post to another topic or open a case with NetApp support.

1. The host files entries sometime are necessery at the Unix but How critical is the host file entries for the C-DOT vserver? 

2.  All our vservers host file contain this loopback IPs. Maybe during the 7-mode transition we added them to the host file but I am not sure about this. Anyway, if I delete the 127.0.0.1 IP from the       host file, how this will affect the NFS access?

3. is there any workaround without update the host file entries?

Thanks,

Chi

Public