Subscribe
Accepted Solution

snapmirror SVM DR failed

Hi,

We have Ontap 8.3.2.

I created a vserver to test the SVM DR in our cluster. It's successful. But when I try to snapmirror our production vserver to a SVM DR vserver,  its failed to initialize the SVM DR snapmirror relatioinship.

The production vserver has a volume 1.9TB.

The error message was : 

Last Transfer Error: Failed to apply the source Vserver configuration. Reason: Apply failed for Object: hosts_byname Method: baseline. Reason: The IPV4 address specified with "-address" is not supported because it is one of the following:
multicast, loopback or 0.0.0.0.

The SVM DR vserver contains only the volumes and nis services from source vserver but no dns service and no cifs protocol.

Any ideals?

Thanks,

Chi

Re: snapmirror SVM DR failed

Hi,

Please try removing loopback entries from the hosts files

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Hi Sahana,

This the vserver svm1 host file table. Are those 127.x.x.x  loopback entries?

cluster::> dns hosts show -vserver svm1
Vserver Address Hostname Aliases
---------- -------------- --------------- ----------------------
svm1 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost-stack
svm1 127.0.10.1 localhost-10 localhost-bsd
svm1 127.0.20.1 localhost-20 localhost-sk
svm1 x.x.x.218 svm1-e0a-280 -
svm1 x.x.x.108 nismaster -
svm1 x.x.x.112 svm1 svm1-e0a
svm1 x.x.x.x svm1-e0a-4038 -

Thanks,

Chi

Yes, they are.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Hi Sahana,

Yes, those loopback IPs caused the SVM DR snapmirror failure. 

So I have questions about the dns hosts file, if you think it is irrevalent to this SVM DR topic, then I will either post to another topic or open a case with NetApp support.

1. The host files entries sometime are necessery at the Unix but How critical is the host file entries for the C-DOT vserver? 

2.  All our vservers host file contain this loopback IPs. Maybe during the 7-mode transition we added them to the host file but I am not sure about this. Anyway, if I delete the 127.0.0.1 IP from the       host file, how this will affect the NFS access?

3. is there any workaround without update the host file entries?

Thanks,

Chi