Data Backup and Recovery

ssh login from windows client

olaf_hoetger

Hi all,

I'm trying to login from my windows machine (Windows 7) to one of our filers (Ontap 7.3.5.1) using ssh v2. Nothing special so far, thanks to putty.

The challenge I meet at the moment is to use the credentials from my windows session to login to the filer without entering a password or user.

Unfortunately I have not been very successfull yet. I tried several "patched" putty clients with kerberos support (quest putty, centrify putty, ...) and also the current development snapshot of putty which also includes kerberos, as it is planned for future releases of putty.

With all clients and settings I tried, I always got a password prompt, and was not able use some kind of single sign on.

Does anyone have experiences with ssh and windows credentials? Does Ontap support this at all?

Thank in advance for all answers.

regards,

Olaf

3 REPLIES 3

olaf_hoetger

That would be a fall back, but only if the single sign on will not work. To use keys is an organisational problem in our company, from the technical point of view this would be fine.

regards,

Olaf

ryan_foster

I have managed to do something similar to what you are saying at our workplace although it uses Cygwin and SSH Keys.  We can run commands against the filers or login to them without entering a username or password but still have the security of AD Authentication and SSH Keys.

The Cygwin server is used as an SSH Client on the Windows Server to pass our active directory account and ssh keys to the filer whenever we enter a filername and command.   We open an SSH session to the cygwin server using putty from out desktops logging in with our AD account.  From then on we can run any commands to any filers and use extra bash commands that are available in cygwin.

This can be a bit fidely to setup at first but I can send you more details on how we've done it if your interested.

Below is an example:

---------

AD\Ryan@WinAdminServer ~
$ ssh filer02 version
NetApp Release 7.3.4P4: Fri Nov 19 14:00:14 PST 2010

AD\Ryan@WinAdminServer ~
$ ssh filer03 version
NetApp Release 7.3.4P4: Fri Nov 19 14:00:14 PST 2010

AD\Ryan@WinAdminServer ~
$ ssh filer03 license | qgrep -y snapdrive_unix
        snapdrive_unix not licensed

AD\Ryan@WinAdminServer ~