Posting within the NetApp Community

by Community Manager ‎2015-03-19 10:36 AM - edited ‎2015-04-10 07:30 AM

In this guide you will learn how to post a new discussion and reply to a discussion, how to create a good post and how to edit and delete your posts. If you have more questions, please post your question in the Community Related Discussions.

How do I create a new discussion?

1. Login to your account
  2. Navigate your way to the Discussion area in which you’d like to start your discussion.
  3. In the upper right corner, click on Start a Discussion
  4. Fill out all necessary fields, which are highlighted in the example below.

Posting Best Practices

A subject should be descriptive and concise, limited to 50-70 characters. It should not contain URLs nor special characters.

The body of a discussion should be:

• Descriptive and contain complete sentences and proper grammar
  • Easy on the eyes. If you post has a lot of information utilize the formatting options.
  • Conversational and encourage other members to respond.

The body of discussion should NOT be:

• Copy and pasted from other NetApp Sites or documents without further explanation or description. If you do copy and paste content from another NetApp Site or document, ensure that the content should be publically accessible.
  • Confidential or proprietary information.
  • Announcements, content broadcasting, solicitation or advertising.
  • Just a URL.

positngprocess.PNG

How do I reply to a discussion?

1. Login at the top of any page.
    Below discussion posts, click on Reply.
  2. To notify a user that you’re responding to them directly, be sure to @mention the user. Simply type the “@” symbol and their username (e.g. @alissa) and select the user from the menu.
  3. Click Post and your reply will be added to the existing thread; it will not create a new thread.

NOTE: Do not change the subject line while responding to a discussion. If necessary start a new discussion.

postingprocess2.PNG

How do I edit my posts?

1. Login to your account.
  2. Next to your discussion or reply, click on Options.
  3. Choose Edit Message or Edit Reply and make necessary changes.
  4. Post your edits.

How do I delete a post?

1. Login to your account.
  2. Next to your discussion or reply, click on Options.
  3. Mark the post as Inappropriate Content and provide reasons for deletion.

PostingProcess3.PNG

Warning!

This NetApp Community is public and open website that is indexed by search engines such as Google. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary. All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly viewable and available. This includes the rich text editor which is not encrypted for https.

In accordance to our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Files and content that do not abide by the Community Terms of Use or Code of Conduct will be removed. Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.