ONTAP Discussions

8.1GA release

siriusjadlon

Does anyone know for sure if the 8.1GA release today includes the fixes that are in 8.1RC3?

8 REPLIES 8

scottgelb

It has to be a full rollup. And possibly the same as rc3

aborzenkov

According to bug compare tool, there are 6 fixed bugs between 8.1RC3 and 8.1.

telecitycft

Q - Do many clients upgrade using a just-released GA version (8.1) on a production system? Or is it prudent to wait awhile for feedback/comments/reports/patched version? Our filers use 7.3.3 and until last week, we were planning on going to 8.03P7

scottgelb

I can't speak for others but we usually recommend waiting for the .1 release or later. Unless a feature is needed in the new release.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

telecitycft

Thanks Scott, though I suppose when we actually get the OK to proceed with the infrastructure upgrades, the .1 release will be out!

lagenevoise

Hi Shott,

How determine if the release .1 is not bugest than realease .0 or .2

by the way, do you know if snapDrive bugs (during a Takeover) are fixed?

Regards,

CGA

scottgelb

No guarantee on bugs. But check the release comparisons. Bugs fixed. And number of users on the release. When most are on 8.1.x and more than 8.0 that definitely is a time to upgrade.

NetApp_SEAL

I second the notion to wait until at least 8.1.1 (by the summer, perhaps?).

I'm in a situation where 8.1 would really be helpful on a CIFS array (some massive volumes over 16 TB that cannot be deduped until 8.1 implementation) but due to other issues that weren't resolved by GA (specifically FlashCache for 3210's as we have three of those in the same environment) we may be forced to wait until 8.1.1 when (hopefully) the 3210 / FlashCache issue is resolved.

Public