Subscribe
Accepted Solution

8.1RC2 7-Mode to CDOT 8.3rc1, one step?

I have the KB article that discusses moving from 8.1.x 7-Mode to 8.2.y CDOT. But now, 8.3RC1 is available.

Can I go directly from 8.1RC2 7-Mode to CDOT 8.3rc1?

We have lots and lots of small filers. Disk slicing ("root-data partitioning") is a killer feature for us. (And yes, I know that both of these transitions are disk-wipe events.)

Re: 8.1RC2 7-Mode to CDOT 8.3rc1, one step?

8.3 isn't included in the matrix yet but the datasheet does mention 8.1.1 to cDOT 8.3 (one step - not from your version though)

https://fieldportal.netapp.com/7mtt.aspx#276797

the latest tool (1.4) doesn't support 8.3 but I'm sure that 7MTT 2.0 will be/was announced in 'Insight' in Berlin this week 

Are your 7-mode volumes 32 or 64 bit?

I don't need to preserve any of the data. (Tho to answer the question: all 64-bit.)

You'll have to hop.  8.1->8.1.4, then 8.1.4->8.2.1+.  Then do the mode conversion/wipe, then finally 8.2.1+->8.3rc1.  

Just make sure you get your 8.2+ feature keys and your cluster base key before you start.

I don't need to preserve any of the data.

Then I do not understand the question. You will be wiping filers clean anyway, how does it matter which version was there originally?

There are version checks in the install scripts, so even going the destructive route and running it all from option 7 some of those hops are probably going to be enforced. I put the mode switch after 8.2.1 because cdot 8.1.x is a whole other set of license keys you don't need. You will still have to wipe after getting to 8.3 for partitioning to kick in.

There are version checks in the install scripts, so even going the destructive route and running it all from option 7 some of those hops are probably going to be enforced.

Now I became really curious. What can be checked here? The only dependency could be against firmware (LOADER); I had the case when FAS3170 could not netboot 8.2.1. But firmware can be updated from really any version of Data ONTAP, it is done before it loads anyway.

When you netboot and go into 7, you are running exactly the same version that you are going to install so there could be no incompatibility here. Next step will be 4 where you wipe disks clean so there is nothing left to check. Could you explain what do you mean? Not arguing, just trying to learn something new Smiley Happy

Aha, thanks for explaining the rationale behind the hops. I was wondering, because I couldn't derive those requirements from the release notes alone.

NetBoot should bypass it. Install script in the tgz can read the existing version from the boot device.