Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

AIX chmod 444 fails on NETAPP SNAPLOCK CIFS share

Hello,

I'm guessing this problem is AIX-related instead of Netapp-related,but maybe someone here can shed some light on this anyway.

I'm setting up a SNAPLOCK implementation with CIFS shares.

When thie CIFS share is accessed through a windows host, everything works fine: when the read-only property is set to the file, the retention lock is instantly activated.

However, when mounting the CIFS share on an AIX host, setting the readonly flag to a file (chmod 444) fails with the following message:

0481-014 chmod: not all requested changes were made to [filename]

The CIFS share was mounted with the following command:

mount -v cifs -n [ip of my netapp controller]/testuser/password /TESTSHARE$ /TESTSHARE

-> I am mounting the share while logged in as root on the AIX system

-> testuser is a local user on the Netapp controller

and has "Full Control" permissions specified for share TESTHARE$ on the Netapp controller

-> creating, changing and deleting files works fine

Just when I try to set the readonly property for any file on the CIFS share, it doesn't work, leaving the file's properties as -rwxr-xr-x instead of -r--r--r--

Any ideas why AIX is not letting me do a chmod 444 on files on this mounted CIFS share?

I'm guessing this has to do something with an AIX-related setting?

My AIX skills are a bit rusty.

I've made a workaround by setting the autocommit period on the SNAPLOCK volume to 2h,

so when someone places a file on the share, it will be snaplocked down by autocommit a bit later anyway,

this was tested with success.

However I'm still curious about why the chmod is not doing its thing.

Any ideas?

Some AIX  gurus over here?

Re: AIX chmod 444 fails on NETAPP SNAPLOCK CIFS share

Which security stile has shared qtree - unix or ntfs?

NTFS, should it be set to UNIX ?

I cannot tell whether it should or not as it depends entirely on your configuration requirements. But it is not possible to change file permissions on NTFS qtree from NFS client. I do not really know what “chmod” on CIFS mount on AIX translates to.

Do you have chance to use NFS?

I've tried setting the security style of the qtree to UNIX, but I still couldn't do a chmod on files on a mounted CIFS share on AIX.

I've created NFS exports instead as you suggested and chmod 444 works fine now.

I'm still curious about the AIX CIFS thing, I think it should be doable as well. Probably something small related to AIX permissions.

But I'll just use NFS instead, thanks for the suggestion.